Upgarded DVD drive and can't burn.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by scoobs, Oct 15, 2006.

1. scoobs macrumors newbie

Well guys I decided to upgrade the DVD combo drive in my iMac flat panel to a DVD burner made by LG. I found that OSX 10.2.3 doesn't recognise it as a DVD burner and I am limited to just reading DVDs and are unable to burn DVDs. If I upgrade to Tiger or a newer version will I be able to use the drive to burn dvds?

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

try patchburn

You probably need to run software update and get everything up-to-date first. that probably won't fix the DVD problem but this program might. Just download the version for 10.2 and give it a try. I find it works pretty well.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You should have gotten a Pioneer DVD drive. Then again with 10.2.3 you're not going to get much support either.

Try using PatchBurn as previously mentioned.

4. scoobs thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Celticsun macrumors newbie

Bit of a minefield this one, Patchburn will be your best bet as said, what Apps are you using to burn stuff?

Unless its a Apple Supported Drive you will struggle like anything to burn using the iApps PatchBurn is a bit hit and miss, Toast should recognise the drive no problems enabling you to burn files outside of iLife.

Let us know how you get on.

6. scoobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Well Patchburn didn't work even though it had the correct drivers it wouldn't recognise the drive as a dvd burner. I am trying to use diskcopy and itunes to test to see if the drive is installed. itunes says there is no supported drive even after the installation of the drivers. I think I am going to try to upgrade it to tiger and hopefully that will give me better support.:confused: