Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Well guys I decided to upgrade the DVD combo drive in my iMac flat panel to a DVD burner made by LG. I found that OSX 10.2.3 doesn't recognise it as a DVD burner and I am limited to just reading DVDs and are unable to burn DVDs. If I upgrade to Tiger or a newer version will I be able to use the drive to burn dvds?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well guys I decided to upgrade the DVD combo drive in my iMac flat panel to a DVD burner made by LG.
You should have gotten a Pioneer DVD drive. Then again with 10.2.3 you're not going to get much support either.

Try using PatchBurn as previously mentioned.

Celticsun

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2005
Eidorian said:
You should have gotten a Pioneer DVD drive. Then again with 10.2.3 you're not going to get much support either.

Try using PatchBurn as previously mentioned.

Bit of a minefield this one, Patchburn will be your best bet as said, what Apps are you using to burn stuff?

Unless its a Apple Supported Drive you will struggle like anything to burn using the iApps PatchBurn is a bit hit and miss, Toast should recognise the drive no problems enabling you to burn files outside of iLife.

Let us know how you get on.

scoobs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
Celticsun said:
Bit of a minefield this one, Patchburn will be your best bet as said, what Apps are you using to burn stuff?

Unless its a Apple Supported Drive you will struggle like anything to burn using the iApps PatchBurn is a bit hit and miss, Toast should recognise the drive no problems enabling you to burn files outside of iLife.

Let us know how you get on.
Well Patchburn didn't work even though it had the correct drivers it wouldn't recognise the drive as a dvd burner. I am trying to use diskcopy and itunes to test to see if the drive is installed. itunes says there is no supported drive even after the installation of the drivers. I think I am going to try to upgrade it to tiger and hopefully that will give me better support.:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.