upgradability of CPU on PowerMac G5 1.8ghz dual processor

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by thumb, May 27, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

Hi all,

that is the desktop i currently have. i got it a couple of years back, in larger part because i really felt its expandable architecture would allow for me to keep using it longer than I would most computers (say my laptop for instance).

I know right now it is a perfectly nice machine. sure, there are faster quads out there, but i handles my needs just fine.

I am will soon be upgrading the video card, adding a hard drive, and maxing out its RAM.

What I am wondering, is what options do i have regarding upgrading the processor unit. I hope not to replace this machine for a while, but with the upcoming transition to Intel, i dont expect there to be much support for this architecture.

so, what I would like to do, is at the time of transition, max-out the performance of this machine as much as possible, and use it as long as I can. I will primarily be running photoshop and digital imaging workflows.

what would you all recommend?

thanks

thumb

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

As far as I know, your current processor is the only one that machine can accept, that isn't slower than the current one.

For example: a 2.0GHz chip will run at 1.8GHz in your machine. A 1.6GHz chip, however, will run at 1.6GHz.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There was a guy who posted on a possible procedure for attempting to hack the EPROM on the service processor.

Basically, it is not a DIY procedure -- and the upgrade manufacturers haven't stepped up to offer them.

Heck it takes 6 months for a place to figure out how to get a stable clock on these CPUs.

Great for IBM, since people are forced to pay enormous consulting fees to them.

---

In short: Don't count on CPU upgrades for G5s, ever.

4. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

really, i thought that was one of the big selling points of the massive G5 towers, that they were quite upgradeable. the CPU wasnt much of concern to me when i bought it, but i did imagine it would be as well. is it just that with the switch to intel the demand for this is no longer there? if so, that kind of bums me out.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They are - except the CPU.

6. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so it is. just one less thing to spend money on i guess.

so, more RAM, a 400GB second drive, and the Raedon xt800x card.

am i missing anything?

oh, and here is another question, my household also has two powerbooks in it. there are many times when it would be very useful to get stuff off and on the desktop. right now, the desktop is at work, but connected to the internet by ethernet. I have been able to connect to it from home using the go to server in finder, and logging on, then simply mounting the disk i want to transfer files.

when this thing comes home, would that still be the best way to go? it does not have airport installed, would it be easier or faster to do it that way. can this computer be connected to our express basestation via ethernet and accessed that way?

thanks in advance.

7. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

any thoughts on how to best setup this system at home so computers can talk to each other best?

two powerbooks
    powermac G5 1.8 x2
    airport extreme (and express for that matter)
    hp1200
    etc

thanks

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It can be done, heck they can probably be overclocked -- but it isn't a trivial job like the G4.
    and...
    Compared to look up resistor settings, and add 1 or two or remove them on a G4.

9. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, yes, that is probably a bit more than i was looking to get involved in.

not too big a deal, there is still plenty of processing power in those dual g5 1.8ers for a while.