Upgradable G5 DPs?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maclamb, Jan 20, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

Dell sells DP capable machines that come with 1 cpu - the second can be added later.
    Why does Apple not do this? Can this not be done with the G5 DP machines?

2. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Because I can buy an Intel or Athlon processor off the shelf.

When was the last time you saw PPC 970s for sale in the retail market?

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

well, yes, but Apple could sell the processor...or someone else - I don't buy intel cpus from intel - and maybe the reason you don't buy ppc cpus off the shelf is because there is no "open cpu slot" - so chicken and egg?
    and - sonnet and powerlogix get their cpus from somewhere...

So far I don't see that as a real reason not to.

4. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I beleive the single processor G5 towers have a different motherboard than their dual processor companions.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Bingo...

While the motherboard may be technically capable of supporting a second processor, the board is in reality lacking some of the key components for the second processor.

And since each G5 processor has it's own elastic bus to the UniNorth3.x (while the G4s share a single bus) -- it's unlikely that a daughter card with 2 G5s will be released.

You'll note only one WHITE PLASTIC CPU SOCKET...

G5 Single CPU Logic board

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Perhaps I was not clear.
    Yes, thank you, I realize that a Single CPU capable MB will only accept 1 cpu ("ya think?")
    If you read my orignal post it was about Dell's DP capable MB - meaning the MB has 2 cpu sockets.
    I was aking basically:
    Given that apple has two G5 MB (SP and DP)
    AND
    Could a DP MB run with one CPU - and if so - wouldn't it be cool for apple to sell a single CPU on a DP mb - Less $ upfront (I might buy a DP CAPABLE G5 with one CPU NOW and uypgrade later.

that was where I was going....

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

In the early days, I'm talking about the 90's you could do this with some Apples. I should have done it with my SE30, then I could have used it well till the year 2000! :D

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The problem with these CPU daughtercards is the CPU cooling system needs to be calibrated every time the CPUs are moved to a new slot.

I'm sure Apple could release a Applescript to do it, but Apple avoids the word "upgradeable."

They've dropped this word from their lexicon since losing the lawsuit on a machine that was orphaned by the 3rd party market -- Apple had to engineer an upgrade for the machine -- the upgrade was quite expensive for everyone.

Heck, they got their panties in a knot when 3rd party manufacturers started saying the hidden slot inside the Bondi iMacs could be used as an upgrade slot.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    this must have been the 100th time iv seen this thread, all in different forms haha

10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

point taken - I'll search first next time.