UPgrade 12" PB OR iMac ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EasyC, Jun 24, 2005.

1. EasyC macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2005
    I got my Powerbook last July, its a 1.33 with 1.25 GB of Ram. I used it at school this year and connected it to a Dell 17" W1700 (a LCD TV). I did enjoy the screen but it pretty much handled it purpose. My question is to you guys is that I need and want something more in the form of a Desktop solution. I have come up with two solutions, I could go with either a 23 Cinema Display and 250 GB external FW400 HD or a 20" G5 iMac. I can go with either for close to the same price, the iMac being a little more of course, but I can take advantage of the apple student discount on each. Also I ould go with the 20" cinema but I love that 23 so much! Okay which way should I go? should I just hold out with the PB for a few years until the upper tier (powerwise) intel mac? FYI I do some Photoshop and editing, but I do alot of Adobe Acrobat work, word Processing, and the regular surfing and such. TIA.
  2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2005
    down to earth, far away from any clouds
    I would go with the powerbook and the bigger screen, since it is capable to fulfill your needs. I think a point most people forget when having a notebook and a desktop is if you are in a hurry, working on the desktop and then going somewhere with the notebook you easily forget data at home. A friend of mine is photographer and has a powerbook and a 2x2 ghz G5. He says he forgets data in the G5 at least 1-2 times a months when going to clients with the powerbook. Ok, it is all a matter of getting used to it, but I think it is something that surely happens sometime.

Just my oppinion, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose ;)
  3. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    You'd get more performance out of the iMac no doubt. It's a faster CPU. However, I'd get the monitor instead. I'm not overly fond of the all-in-one. And with the monitor, if you go a different route later, you can use the monitor. The iMac you're stuck with.
  4. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    Go with the monitor route, because when these new intel macs come out. A monitor isn't going to be outdated by that.

Then, IMO you'll have the best Mac set-up there is for most.
  5. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Personally, I'd go with the display. I like the portability factor.

And if you want to save some extra $$$ (at least $600), there's always the 24" Dell 2405FPW. From the reviews (1, 2, 3) I've read, it's awesome. Even better than Apple's 23" Cinema Display.

There's also a Apple display vs. Dell display thread going on.
  6. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Definately PowerBook+ACD...I had an iBook then went to the iMac G5 then sold it for another PowerBook,the iMac is great but nothing beats portability imo.
  7. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I'd go with either the 20" ACD or a Dell 2405FPW 24" display.

$699 vs $899 education.