Upgrade advice on a Gigabit G4

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by uspcommuter, Jan 24, 2006.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Aug 23, 2004
    Hello All,

Just got done buying a used Dual/450 Gigabit as my massive storage/poker playing/guest computer/possible server. So now I am thinking about how I can maximize the preformance of the machine other than ram and HD. Just in case you are wondering, the Ram has been maxed out at 2GB. :) I have about 150-200 bucks left to play around with.

Things that I am thinking about but not sure on do I really need it or its just excess:

Upgrade to ATA133 or SATA?
    Upgrading the video card to support core image? I think the 9800 is the only one that can fit into the 2x slot.

Any suggestions to pimp my mac is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your help.
  2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.

For the uses you list, a new video card would be a waste of money IMHO..
    sure, CI support is nice to have, but not really necessary for your needs.
    Quartz Extreme, OTOH, should already be enabled on your machine, and provides for boosting the gui performance, so no problem there :)

However, moving up to SATA II HD would involve buying a controller card too, which would give you a big performance boost, but would surely
    exceed your $150-200 budget........

Or if you feel like splurging, a CPU upgrade, say to a DP 1ghz, would be like night & day difference.....

good luck with whatever you choose :p