Upgrade advice: PM G4 to G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by drbrog, Aug 15, 2005.

1. drbrog macrumors member

Apr 29, 2005
    I have a Powermac G4 (dual 1.42 GHz, MDD, FW800 variety) which I absolutely love. I use it for "everyday" tasks as well as photoediting and more recently amateur video editing. It is about 2 1/2 years old and along with its 17 in display, is still under Applecare warranty.
    I have been considering upgrading to a G5 Powermac - probably a dual 2.0 GHz as I think it will be better for photo/video editing and I think my G4 powermac will still have high resale value owing to its warranty. Alternatively, I can keep the G4 for a few years until the Intels arrive and get what I can for the G4 then.
    Appreciate your insight....
  2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi, I'd say if your current PM is doing fine then stick with it until it gives you problems OR you need the G5 because now you will be making money from your video endeavors ;)
    You have a great Mac so save up for that uhmm...sunny day :)
  3. iEric macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003
    I tihnk you should keep your G4. I mean, it's not like it's really slow or anything...
    Save the money, and continue to save more money, and when you do plan to get a new powermac, you can get a bigger screen too! :p and by the time the G4 just doesn't cut it out for you, the G5s will be a bit faster (hopefully) and maybe the price may have decreased by a little. One can only hope.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    You could check the value of your Mac on eBay. Another thing to consider is that it's often to wait for the Rev B. model due to bugs. You should wait till Paris Expo next month, just in case an update is announced. That is if you still decided to purchase a G5 now. The PPC will still be supported for at least 5 years.
  5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    That sounds like what it all boils down to, so you have to address the issue of whether faster video editing is that important enough to you right now to make the move. If it is, and you make a living at video editing to boot, then you should upgrade. But if video editing is more casual, like a hobby, then it depends on how much disposable cash you have to invest in an upgrade. Either way could land a new G5 on your desk, but you have to come to terms with the video editing issue as the "raison extraordinaire."