Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulfuric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
I have a i mac 1GHz PowerPC G4 with 256 MB DDR SDRAM and 80GB running OSX 10.3.9...... this may seem a simple question but i want to know what i can do to upgrade it.... i would not swap my computer for anything in the world....even the new G5's !!! But its over a year old now and ive got a few pennies spare so want to upgrade.....im hopefully gettin Tiger in the next few weeks but want to know what possibilites are open to me to upgrade my hardware so its faster and more on a par with the new macs coming out.....And also this may seem like a stupid question but i dont know the answer so im gonna ask it.....can you upgrade to G5 or not?? Im guessing not.... :( ....I dont play games on it or not but do run quite a few design programs on it, 'Pro tools', 'Dreamweaver', 'Logic' etc etc ......so what is available to me???

Many thanks for your time and advice

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Sadly, you can't put in a G5

What you can do is this:

1) Get 1GB Ram
2) Install Tiger (Clean install)
3) Get a Larger, external Firewire Drive for all those iTunes/Logic Files

And BAM! Will you notice the change!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Soulfuric said:
I have a i mac 1GHz PowerPC G4 with 256 MB DDR SDRAM and 80GB running OSX 10.3.9...... this may seem a simple question but i want to know what i can do to upgrade it.... i would not swap my computer for anything in the world....even the new G5's !!! But its over a year old now and ive got a few pennies spare so want to upgrade.....im hopefully gettin Tiger in the next few weeks but want to know what possibilites are open to me to upgrade my hardware so its faster and more on a par with the new macs coming out.....And also this may seem like a stupid question but i dont know the answer so im gonna ask it.....can you upgrade to G5 or not?? Im guessing not.... :( ....I dont play games on it or not but do run quite a few design programs on it, 'Pro tools', 'Dreamweaver', 'Logic' etc etc ......so what is available to me???

Many thanks for your time and advice
Increase your RAM to at least 512 MB. You cannot up the processor to a G5.

Soulfuric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Cheers guys

Cool...cheers guys.........right im off to go super charge my mac......

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I think you mean .5GB cause they come with 512MB Standard now. If you just up the RAM in your G4 to like a GB or 1.25GB you'll notice a huge difference. Buy the RAM from Crucial, Kingston, etc. where its cheaper. If you do decide to get a G5, get an iMac if you don't need the extra processing power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.