Upgrade Avail in 3 days. Wait for 5S or go?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rlu929s, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

As the title says my upgrade is up in 3 days and I'm wanting to upgrade from a 4 to a 5.

My biggest reason for upgrade is:

1. 3G to 4G
    2. New Factor
    3. Lighter
    4. Light use of Siri

I could really care less about the the other features.

The reasons to upgrade are pretty big to me although since mine is a work phone I truly can only upgrade every 2 years, so I want to make it count.

Should I wait it out for the 5S or go 5?

2. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the iphone 5 hits all your points of wanting/needing an upgrade. plus, the phone is only three months old, and a 5s in the near term is far from certain despite recent rumors. i say just get it now.

3. macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking go for it. I'm in the same boat. I have an iPhone 4 now and I'm eligible for an upgrade on 12/29. It will be a nice bump going from the regular 4 to the 5...MUCH faster processor, better camera, bigger screen, Siri...the list goes on. I considered waiting until the "5s", but as much as we speculate we don't KNOW when that phone will be coming out. It could be June/July 2013, could be late as October...who knows. Also, I'm in the same boat where I only upgrade once every two years and I really like to make it count. Getting the 5 now SHOULD mean that my next upgrade in 2014 will bring me a phone with a new/redesigned form factor rather than just a spec bump and added features (again, just speculation).

4. macrumors regular

I also say go for it now. It is highly unlikely that we will see anything before next fall. Apple has had a history with iPhones of releasing a new version every 12 or more months. The only iOS device to defy the 12 month rule has been the iPad. The iPad 3 was killed off in favor of the 4 mainly due to the extension of LTE compatibility outside the U.S. slight hardware upgrade and the new dock connecter. Honestly I think apple should have just waited on the iPad to get to the current gen rather than stuffing in a 3rd gen only to kill it off a few months later for another update. But that is not iPhone related. The current iPhone 5 will be good through fall of 2013 when the 5S should be released as a simple update to the 5 with a feature or two probably reserved for it to entice consumers to buy it over the 5. I am hoping for more of a major revamp of software with iOS 7 since iOS 6 was such a flop.

5. macrumors 601

Do u REALLY feel you can use a speed bump? otherwise this may just be a nice-to-have.

New yes, but do you REALLY need more screen real estate + watch videos?

Legit.

IMHO, Siri in its present from is a novelty. When she can be linked to do more things then maybe it will be worth the attention.

Dunno. I look at my 4s and it's a piece of Jewelry glass and metal, a monolith in space (2010) that comes to life when commanded to. I5 all metal 2-tones back doesn't "grab" me as much. YMMV.

6. macrumors 603

siurpeeman

on verizon, the bump from 3g to lte is like night and day. it makes a big difference when you don't see things loading, when bodies of text on email, web pages, rss readers and twitter all just appear. it's also noticeable on youtube, where i no longer see any delay/stutter from buffering. most of the time, lte is even faster than my wifi at home. it really is my favorite feature of the iphone 5.

7. macrumors regular

I vote for now also, especially if you have LTE in your area, although even 3G>fake 4G can be nice too.

8. macrumors 601

Your call. If you could care less then you should probably wait. However, if you couldn't care less then you might want to go ahead.

9. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

The jump from the 4 to 5 will be huge is every way, shape, and form. I would upgrade to the 5 now and skip the 5S if I were you

10. macrumors 6502a

Although I'm not anal enough to play the multiple exchange game that some do, I do think there are more issues with the 5 than other new phones Apple has released. I have dings and wear I'd not expect since it's been in a case since day 1, it has wifi issues that many people seem to share, there's a 175 page thread on the Apple forum about wifi issues, and that's just the largest of many threads. So I do think there's something up with a significant number of 5's wifi assemblies.

Still, none of these are deal breakers for me. And I don't feel the need to try to exchange, the 5s won't be too far down the road.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you're picky about your phone being flawless in form and function, waiting for the S might be better, assuming the early problems with the 5 have been worked on by then.

I always know going in, if you get a new iPhone design, soon after release, you might have a few issues. One would hope the S version will have seen most or all of them fixed.

11. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Get the 5, going from a a 4 to a 5 is a big change, there might be some merit if you had a 4s.

12. macrumors 601

cambookpro

13. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd say upgrade. I upgraded from a 4s and don't regret it at all.

14. macrumors 6502

I'd say stay on 4. Just in several months 5S is coming and most of the issues with 5 would be fixed plus better hardware. Then you just have to follow S => S directions of the future models.

15. macrumors newbie

Best Buy 5 & 4S promotion

If you are signing a new 2 year agreement and near a Best Buy, you can save $50 before 1/05/13.
    It will be a long time before the iPhone 5S has any price deal...

Save $50 instantly with purchase of any iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S with 2 year activation.
    Valid through 1/5/13. Limit 2 per person.

16. macrumors 68000

shady825

This is what I plan on doing this week. I'm on a iPhone 4. I usually skip all the "S" releases.
    Going from a 4 to a 5 will be a nice upgrade for me and I could care less about the 5S. It's nothing but a rumor right now. It would be dumb for anyone to wait around for something that we don't even know "for sure" about.. For all we know the iPhone 6 will be next and be a major redesign. Rumors are rumors. That's all. If you want it or need it now, then get it now.

17. macrumors 65816

If on Verizon or Sprint with lousy CDMA 3G speeds, just go for LTE because the change is significant. If on AT&T, just stay on 3G HSPA+, the speeds are already more than enough.

iPhone 5 will be a great upgrade, I don't think you can go wrong getting it now :)