UPGRADE cards for G3 BW

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mikeabnooy, Jan 22, 2004.

1. mikeabnooy macrumors member

There are all these great processor upgrades for all the other computers out there but none for the BW. Anybody know WHY? I heard rumors last year that at the end of the last year there would be faster upgrades but the fastest is 550 g4. What's up with that?

one last question. does anyone know any sites that has real life speed test of programs between g3 and g4 processors. I have seen some but none of the were with the iApps. Thanks

2. mislabeledstar macrumors regular

First, you can find everything you need info wise on upgrades and what not at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/, including a bunch of info on cards for the B&W.

Second, i'm not really good with this technical info, but from how I understand it, the system for a B&W can not handle anything over 550, that is why the upgrades have stopped there.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Sonnet just announced 800MHz and 1GHz Encore/ZIF G4 upgrades for the B/W G3 and Yikes G4s today. Pricing is $350 and $500 respectively. Check out the link that 748s posted above. Mislabeledstar, I think you are mistaken.

4. Redboy macrumors member

5. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

We just got the Sonnet Encore/ZIF G4 500 for the B&W G3 that we have here at the office and it runs a lot faster than the G3 350 that it had in there previously. It costs a bit but its worth it. We got it at Other World Computing btw.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Okay, watch out... the new Encord ZIFs I was touting earlier... just found out they downclock the bus to 66MHz! So beware. You'll get a faster G4 in your B/W G3, but it'll set you back to the days of the beige G3 in terms of bus speed.

7. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Really? Can you give me some proof of the bus downclock before I buy?

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Sure... I called Sonnet and asked them. They confirmed it, so I cancelled my order. I know that's hearsay, but if you want you can call them too...

9. mikeabnooy thread starter macrumors member

i was just looking at the sonnet site and it showed some "real world" comparisons of CPU's. The 1gig doesn't seem that much faster than a 500. just thought that was pretty interesting. OWC has an upgrade to 533 for 150. That seems like the bang for the buck right now.