Upgrade Cards 'n Such

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Haberdasher, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Hi all on this board. Just getting a feel for this one with my first post.

I want to ask an opinion of you, one that is a bit of a departure from rumors (or maybe not)-

I have a 466mhz G4, Radeon 32mb DDR card, 640mb RAM, and plenty of HD space. Rather than buy a brand new G4 when they come out, or probably G5s at the rate I'm saving, I thought I'd spring for an upgrade card, seeing as I've done so in the past with good results.

For 700 bucks, I can get a Sonnet 1 Gig G4 card (not ZIF), and a 9700 Radeon Card for 400 bucks. With a bill of 1100 dollars, I think it would be a good compromise for my budget compared to buying a new computer.

However, has anyone heard anything about any even MORE recent G4 upgrade cards, and maybe I should hold off for a bit? Should I go ahead with the GPU upgrade and wait for the G4?

Opinions are welcome. :D

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Weird

My brother has the exact same machine, only he has 1.5GB of RAM and a Radeon 8500. He has like 160GB of space too.

Now, let me say a few things. He is thinking about that upgrade card, but he wants to wait until they make it a dual or something. But for YOU, sounds like you have the money to get it now, and not wait. My bro doesn't have a whole lot of money, so when he spends it, he spends it wisely on updated stuff. So yea, go ahead and get a 1GHz.

As for the Radeon 9700, if you dont need all that power for 400 dollars, i have a tip if you are interested.

Find a Radeon 8500 PeeCee Version with the exact same specs the mac version had. You can flash the card (software, no welding or anything) and it will be the exact same as having a Radeon 8500 Mac. The only difference is that you can get one of these cards for around 115 dollars shipped, so you could save 300 bucks!

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

A 9700...

...might be a bit extreme. Considering your machine only has AGP2x (IIRC) and a relatively slow bus, you won't get full performance out of it. I would have to recommend a Radeon 9000 Pro, unless cost is no concern. As for processor upgrades, I never get them. I think they're a waste of money.

4. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: A 9700...

How is that? The machine would have the EXACT SAME specs as a Dual 1GHz G4, but it wouldnt have the second processor, or the new case. He would save around 1800 dollars.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

go for it

I would say go ahead and get the GHz upgrade as soon as you can swing it.

As for the video card, the 9700 looks very sweet. I fully intend to get one for my game pc as soon as I can.

As for flashing the video card, if you do that, forget about any kind of support. UNLESS you actually have done it, or seen someone do it (with 100% success) DON'T. The ONLY video cards that I have heard about people having any level of success are the older nvidia ones. If you do end up going with the 8500 card (which is NO slouch, I have the 64MB version inside the game pc and it ROCKS) spend the few extra dollars and get the one made to run inside a Mac.

I just did a search on Macconnection's web site and they have the 8500 (Mac version) for $269.95. I paid about $300 for the pc version last year, essentially the same spec's. Macwarehouse has it for the same price.

BTW, the 64MB pc version is listed as EOL (end of life) on ATI's site.

If you want a card that will have more then enough balls to play the games of the next several years, get the 9700. If you are happy with today's games, and the ones coming out for the rest of this year, all of next year, and maybe the following year, you can get away with the 8500.

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: A 9700...

Actually, fish_boy, the G4 (Digital Audio) has a 4x AGP slot. Look it up on Apple's support page, under the specifications, it's the [only] one that came with the 466MHz processor. :p The PREVIOUS generations of the G4 did have the 2x AGP slot, but then Apple went to the 4x after that.

As for processor upgrades, it's an easy, and very affordable way for some people to eek out more life from their existing system. Especially if they have invested a decent amount in internal upgrades as well as periferals.

As for the performance, while it won't be as fast as the dual GHz system, it should be damned close to the 933MHz system (both use PC133 memory, with 133MHz system buses :p).

You would do well to check your fact before making such obvious errors. :rolleyes: :p :D :cool:

7. Haberdasher thread starter macrumors regular

Agreement

Yeah, my computer does have 4xAGP, and besides, most cards today don't even take that much bandwidth. An 8xAGP card in a 4xAGP slot will be almost no sacrifice of performance until MUCH later, when apps require more. I've been doing my homework. :)

And yes, upgrade cards are a good alternative...I did it before when moving from a 86ker to a G3 300mhz. Never regretted it, and I saved about $1k, too.

Oh, and I may have enough money to buy the upgrade card, but only after diligent saving. I'm a student. :D

Keep the advice coming!