Upgrade/Downgrade from PowerBook question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by liketom, Dec 12, 2004.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

hi all ,

ok so it's that time of year again where i'm thinking of selling my powerbook G4 1.33 combo and upgrading/downgrading in Jan when all the new stuff will come out. My Question is ... iBooks ! any rumors about this getting another upgrade ? i have almost talked myself out of getting another PowerBook due to the reason i can get a iMac+iBook for just a little more then the PowerBook .

so iBook G4 1.2 12" £749 and iMac G5 1.6 £919 = £1668
    or PowerBook 15.2" (new rev in Jan) around £1440 -£1749

any thoughts ?

tom

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well, rumors are that the new Powerbooks will be 1.67 GHz at the top end. This isn't really even significant, compared to your 1.33 GHz PB. Instead of selling your PB and getting a lesser iBook and iMac, why not just buy the iMac and keep the PB? Seems like that's your best bet to me.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

What are you using you computer for?

The new ibook is slower than your Powerbook, the iMac has weaker graphics, but faster CPU and harddisks.

I actually don't see much speed difference between my powerbook and iMacG5 (except the harddisk, but i'm usually use a external HD on the powerbook when i'm home.)

If you need two computers get the iMac, i'm also guessing that the next Rev of Powerbooks isn't going to be much faster than yours.

If you can get a good price on your powerbook it could be worth upgrading, I'll maybe sell mine next summer to get a new one since applecare would probably cost about the same as upgrading to a new model..

4. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i only use it now for internet , e-mail , iTunes and iPhoto

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Why would you upgrade just for that? I use my 1.33 PB for those things, and I'm expecting it to last me another three years.

6. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Bah! I use my 867 PowerBook, and my Cube for more than internet, photos, and mp3s, and they work like a dream. There's no sense upgrading at this point. Save up your spare money to buy the iMac, or a PowerMac if you're so insistent upon staying on the leading edge.

7. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I use a G3 iBook for Adobe CS. You are fine. Just buy an iMac and keep the Powerbook.

Mike

8. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

One more voice of reason: The speed difference is ridiculously miniscule for those basic tasks! You're not likely to notice much of a difference. Save your cash, enjoy your computer. Make your basic tasks faster by downloading quicksilver at quicksilver.blacktree.com. You'll think you've got a new Mac, and it's free!

9. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

thanks for your feedback , but i have put the Mac on ebay for a buy it know price . i am going to buy either a new iBook or iMac in January.

ta

tom

10. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Now that's decisive. Power to you man. Hope you get what you're asking for it.