Upgrade from 10.0.4 to 10.1.2?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by KarenM, Nov 5, 2002.

1. KarenM macrumors newbie

The Apple site does not list a download to upgrade from 10.0.4 to 10.1. Is this something which has to be purchased? I didn't see it in their store either. My goal is to get up to 10.1.2 so I can download iPhoto. Can I get there from here? [iBook/G3/500/640MB]

2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Wow... a 10.0'er.

Well, sadly, you'll have to shell out the ca$h. 10.1 is dust, so you'll have to get your upgrade thru Apple. My advice to you is to get 10.2 thru the Apple education site (as long as you're a student, of course*). It's $69. It's well worth the cost, and certianly faster and more stable than 10.0.x.

+ is comes with iPhoto already installed!

PS: If you really want 10.1, I can sell you mine for $20.

3. KarenM thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I'm not a student, and I understand they need a student ID card #, which I assume they verify, for those purchases...I don't even know anyone who is.

I was going that "route" because I have no knowledge w/OS X at all, and it had come w/this iBook originally; I thought it would be easier to move from 9 to 10.0 & then to Jaguar [don't ask why]. Also, I just ordered OS X books from Amazon, but I guess I could just send em back.

In the last 24 hours, I have:

1. installed a 512 memory chip
    2. re-installed OS X 10.0.4 after having deleted it early on when I didn't think I'd use it
    3. upgraded IE to 5.1
    4. upgraded Classic to 9.2.2

Since then, my IE browser is slower than molasses in the arctic, I've had 2 error messages, and sheesh, it makes me gun-shy of making changes. And, I got the Photoshop 7 upgrade, which I want to install, but now I'm afraid to do that bc maybe more probs will arise.

Oh, dear, what's a girl to do: LOL :confused:

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Well, they don't verify the student info. I had a "friend" who ordered using their education site no-questions-asked.

I would upgrade to Jaguar. Remember, 10.0.x is really a beta and 10.1.x is barely more than that. Jag will have everything you need and (from experience) Photoshop will be very happy as well.