UPGRADE from 10.3.9 to 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Adrifter, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Adrifter macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2006
    Hello, I have a Powerbook G4 15" Superdrive computer that I got back in 2004. I have updated it all the way up to 10.3.9, but now some applications I need (one of which I purchased for $300) 10.4..Here is the problem. I really don't want to pay the $100 to buy 10.4 but will if I need to. I tried this...

My parents have a new G5 iMac with 10.4 I took their Mac OSX install discs and tried it on my computer...no go. I tried taking my girlfriends G4 iBook install discs to get 10.4...no go. The reason I thought this would work, was because when I had the first mac laptop on the market (Aqua iBook), I was able to upgrade from 8.6 to 9.2 using the mac discs that came with my parents old iMac (yes, we have had a lot of Macs).

Is there a way of using those discs? is the only way of getting 10.4 is by buying the discs? I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Dec 29, 2003
    West Coast
    As of late, most of Apple's included install and hardware test discs are tied to the specific model they shipped with.

So unless someone you know happens to have a boxed version of OS X, you may be out of luck...
  3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    AFAIK, you'll have to buy the discs, but with Leopard (10.5) coming out hopefully in the next few months, I personally wouldn't pay to upgrade to Tiger (10.4) now.
  4. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If you can find an UPGRADE version of Tiger it should work on any Mac version. That is how I upgraded my Powerbook. You can probably find UPGRADE disks fairly cheaply on eBay. Look for the ones that came with a Mac immediately after Tiger came out but before they started bundling Tiger full install disks.