Upgrade from Macbook to Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jwkunkle, Jun 19, 2006.

  1. jwkunkle macrumors newbie


    Jun 19, 2006
    Greetings, this is my first post. :p Thank you for taking the time to at least read this thread, and possibly post in it, though I am sure this topic has been covered ad nauseum already.:)

    I currently have a Macbook, which is my first experience with an Apple computer. Suffice to say, I am hooked. the only issue that I have is the smaller screen of the Macbook (13"). I recently switched from a Dell 15.4" widescreen, and though 2"+ may not seem like a lot, the difference of the screen size is quite noticeable.

    I am considering upgrading to the Macbook Pro, mainly for the larger screen size, but also because I want some more "bells and whistles". I currently use the Macbook, and would also use the Macbook Pro as my only computer, using it as my desktop at work, and as a laptop at home.

    My questions to the group are three-fold...

    1. Is there any reason that I should not upgrade, or possibly wait? For example, is there problems that I may not be aware of with the Macbook Pro, or a newer model coming out shortly so I should wait? Is it really worth the price (I unserstand that is a subjective question)??

    2. Does Apple have any type of trade in options, or would I be best to list my Macbook on ebay to sell so I can buy a Macbook Pro?

    3. Lastly, I have a question concerning software. I have a significant amount of high end software installed on my Macbook. Do I have to uninstall all the software before selling? I would think that it would be more valuable with all the software installed, but not sure exactlly how it all works.

    I thank everyone for their time and patience for what is most likely typical newbie questions. I look forward to any and all responses and am pleased that I found this forum.


  2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Jul 7, 2005
    There's always the chance that a Core 2 Duo-equipped MBP will be released before the end of this year, possibly as soon as August. If that would bother you, you might want to wait and see. That said, my 1.83 MBP is the fastest computer (in both Windows and OSX) that I've ever used, and I'm not the least bit sorry I didn't wait for the next revision.

    The differences between the MB and MBP are mainly the ExpressCard slot, and a dedicated graphics card. If you need those, the upgrade might be worth it for you. If you don't need it, keep your MacBook. I wouldn't say screen size is really a good enough reason to ditch a brand new computer for a more expensive one.

    Generally, software licenses stipulate that the software can be installed on one computer only and can't be transferred without the original media. So unless you're going to sell all of your original software CDs/DVDs with the computer, yes, you should uninstall them.
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    If at the end of deliberation you decide not to upgrade to the MBP, don't rule out an external monitor. That could give you more screen size and thus, a more 'desktop pc' feel.

    The only thing here I can think of is that many speculate that merom will be released in the MBPs sometime this fall. If that's not important to you, then I wouldn't worry about it - the MBPs are plenty fast already.. you wouldn't be disappointed!

    I'd also say that perhaps waiting for a rev B product might be a good idea as well, but since you already have a MB, that is obviously not a concern of yours.

    Apple doesn't have any trade in options. You can try ebay, or you could also try the marketplace around here.. may or may not get more for your MB, since the folks around here love macs (and know the value of apple computers!)

    DannySmurf said it - uninstall unless you actually do want to send out all of your software. The best thing to do, actually, is to format and reinstall os x just before you ship it off.
  4. sw1tcher macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2004
    Regarding #3, installed software on a computer that someone is selling adds no extra value to it unless the person selling said computer is also including the original install discs/license.

    Trying to get extra money for a computer by installing software and not including the install discs/license is wrong. Period.
  5. GooMan macrumors regular


    May 8, 2006
    This doesn't help the OP but I just thought I would throw in the fact that I too went from a 15" laptop to the 13" MacBook. I was really worried about losing the screen area but it has not bothered me one bit. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the 13" works. I know there are many people who love the 12" iBooks and PBs but I have always thought 12" was WAYYYY to small. It is amazing to me that 12" seems way to small and 13.3" seems OK.
  6. regre7 macrumors 6502

    Apr 18, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm upgrading to a MBP from nothing, so 0" to 15" is quite a leap for me.
  7. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2005
    Right now I'm also lusting after some more screen space, but that's only till I get back to school and hook up my powerbook to my external display. If you can't do that and really do want a MBP. Think about whether you need a dedicated video card. If you don't, do you think it's worth having to sell your macbook and put in extra money just for a macbook pro? If your answer is yes i'd say wait till the new MBP's are released. I assume they'll come out before the new macbooks so if you sell your MB then, it won't be as low in value. Then go buy your MBP. Good luck

Share This Page