Upgrade from MacBook to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tafkas, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Tafkas macrumors regular

I have a black MacBook with a 2,0 GHz Core Duo Processor. I really like my baby. Furthermore it got 2 GB of RAM.
    Now I got the opportunity to change to a 1,83 GHz MacBook Pro. The question is, is it worth it?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Do you need the extra benefits that a MBP can offer?

3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

if more vram, better graphics card, and a different hardware material are important to you, then go for it. Otherwise your configuration is quite nice. I would say it is a definite yes if you were going to be getting a higher processor, but now the way it stands, I only see a couple of material benefits.

4. gavd macrumors 6502a

Another vote for No

I say no given your current spec.

5. dannewell15 macrumors regular

I concur

I agree. I don't think its worth it, but i am probably a bit biased having just ordered my Macbook which happens to be my first Mac. :D

Macbook White - 2.0ghz core 2 duo, 2gb RAM, 120HDD - Estimated delivery 18th April :D

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Since you did not cite any displeasure with your current set-up, I say keep it. Any performance gains would be modest and, besides, you love that 2 gigs of memory. Be happy.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'd change MB for a MBP in a heartbeat, even if it has lower specs. But its me...

I just love the alu case of MBP, backlit KB, automatic brightness adjustments, bigger screen and......... a real video card! Its also only a LIttLe heavier and just slighty bigger X, Y.

8. Tafkas thread starter macrumors regular

That is so me. I had a Powerbook before I got the MacBook. That is why I am considering changing to the MacBook Pro.

9. theheyes macrumors regular

How much is it going to cost you? Is it a straight swap?

I think it boils down to how much you value the "premium" benefits of a Pro. The gulf between the consumer and pro laptops in terms of specs isnt what it used to be.

10. Tafkas thread starter macrumors regular

11. Nevrsadie macrumors regular

Nevrsadie

If its an even swap, do it. You can add another gig of ram for 60-70$.

12. dailo macrumors regular

Main reason why I went with the MBP for me at least was because of the case and screen size. I couldn't use a screen smaller than 15 and I like the metal case much more. I've used both and I can't tell the difference between the two performance wise.

13. skacoreimplore macrumors newbie

the performance would be about the same

MBP would just have bigger screen/nicer video

only bad thing is the MBP is CD i assume, so it would run a little hotter/not be 64bit/not be able to use 802.11 N

personally id use the macbook

14. Tafkas thread starter macrumors regular

My MacBook is Core Duo too. That would be the same. It is a hard decision here.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The MacBok pro will give you more in line with Video editing and the like. If you current MacBook works for you then there is no reason to switch to the Pro.

16. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

17. Tafkas thread starter macrumors regular

The MacBook Pro has 1.5 GB of RAM. But I would swap the RAM of course, so the MacBook Pro would have 2 GB and the MacBook would go away with 1.5 GB.

18. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I Changed My Mind. Make The Swap.

I've changed my mind. But you should add two 1GB sticks of RAM to the MBP after you make the swap. Then buy a 30" HP monitor the MBP can drive. :D
    Well why didn't you say so in the first place? You can drive a 30" monitor Tafkas. Yes it's a no brainer. Make the trade.

19. macjay macrumors 6502

What's the warranty situation of each computer? That's an important factor to consider too.

20. skacoreimplore macrumors newbie

ah in that case its a no brainer get the MBP

i was assuming you were going from a C2D MB to a CD MBP

21. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

just out of curiosity, do you know why the other person is willing to swap a MBPro for a MB?

22. Tafkas thread starter macrumors regular

I am not going to swap against the MacBook Pro directly. A friend just offered me his MacBook Pro and I would sell my MacBook then. But after all it would be almost a 1:1 swap.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I upgraded and was surprised to find what a big difference there was between the two. I love the MB, but the MBP is on a whole different level. Excellent hardware. Of course, it costs a lot more.

24. Tafkas thread starter macrumors regular

My friend came over today and I compared the books. I uses XBench to make the comparison.
    But after benchmarking I was surprised about the results.

My MacBook seems to be faster than the MacBook Pro.

Here are the Scores we got:

MacBook 93
    MacBook Pro 76

Then I excluded the HDD:

MacBook without HDD 130
    MacBook Pro without HDH 115

Even the graphical benchmarks seem to be faster on the MacBook. Could that be related to the fact, the MacBook Pro runs with 1,5 GB RAM at this moment. So it cannot benefit from the Dual Channel?