Upgrade from Production Suite to FCP Studio

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mduser63, Jan 10, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

According to Apple's Rosetta page, when universal versions of the FCP Studio apps come out, you'll be able to upgrade from FCP 4.5/Production Suite to FCP Studio for only $199, which is a great deal, considering the normal upgrade price was $499 IIRC. Anyway, I'm wondering if Academic version qualify. I believe this page used to mention that educational versions were not eligible for the upgrade price, but they've now removed that. I guess we'll find out for sure after February 1, but I'm thinking that this may be great news to those with academic (or even regular) versions of FCP 4.5 that were wanting to upgrade. I think Apple's thinking is that this will really help remove barriers to buy new Intel Macs.

2. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I hope you're right

I have FCP 4.5 stand alone. Has anyone worked out the cheapest upgrade path for me?

I don't really need the suite but I am worried about what I will lose if I move to FCPE. Can I still log clips before capture, for example?

I would like the multi-cam function of v5 - that'll be FCP only I guess.

3. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

The requirements and order forms went online today. Good news for those with academic versions of FCP 4.5 or the Production Suite. Academic versions are also eligible for upgrades to Universal Final Cut Studio. They are specifically listed as eligible in the Terms and Conditions on the order forms.

4. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Wow

If I can update my academic FCP 4.5 for $199, that is amazing value.

Now I just need to sit tight and see how these Mac Books really are!