Upgrade G3 processor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Spinach, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Spinach macrumors newbie

I have a G3 PowerPC desktop from 97. Its been packed away for a few years and i just recently dug it out. It has a 233mhz processor and a 8 gigabyte HD. It is still running OS 8 :) lol

Is it possible to upgrade the processor? Like buy a latest processor and install it? I was given a site: http://www.sonnettech.com that has a 1Ghz upgrade.
    My question is: Are there other processors or is this the only one?

ALso what else will i need to do to make my G3 up to date?
    -More Ram
    -Latest OSX
    -Will I need a knew monitor?

Or should i just write it off as out of date and recycle it.

Thanks.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

with the money you can use to update that you can buy yourself a fairly decent sawtooth g4

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

It all depends what you are planning to do with it. Give it a bit more ram and the latest os X and you can use it as a server of some kind.

4. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

G3 to G4

I updated mine b/w G3 to a G4 550 from Newer Tech (I think that was the brand) it was sweeeeeet! TO the best of my knowledge from semi-recent research that is the top of the line for that era of G3.... but as I said it was semi-recent recearch.... and b/w G3 specific.....

Have fun it is a great CHEAP fix....

5. Spinach thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that site lists a 1GHz prpcessor for $350. Which , unless i am missing something, seems pretty good.

So 1 GHZ processor$350..http://store1.sonnettech.com/index.php?cPath=22_35
    Ram upgrade .........$60
    New OS................$130
    ...........................$540ish

Or am i missing some vital info? An old new Sawtooth has only a 500MHZ processor. Wouldn't I want the 1GHZ? Iwas going to use it for my everyday desktop. Little word processing and some amateur photoshoping, internet and stuff ;)

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

You are forgetting some things, bigger and faster harddisk, better videocard to take advantage of os X. But you still have a slow front side bus, you will see a big boost in speed, but it doesn't go as fast as a newer mac.

7. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

You are the perfect candidate for a mac mini, which will blow you away, relative to a beige G3. You'll get 1.25ghz of processor power, not to mention an infinately better gpu, system bus, modern ports, bigger HD... Keep the old G3 as a OS 9 machine, but don't upgrade it unless you can find a processor and ram for waaaaaay cheap, and I mean like under 200 bucks.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

mac mini, does that all, faster,cheaper, bigger hard drive, its easier (and cheaper )to buy a new computer

9. Spinach thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm yea, A mac-mini runs about $500. Yea upgrading it may not be worth it. I'm buying a G4 powerbook in September for school and that will have more power than any upgrade to the G3. Its just that it was an awesome desktop back in the day I hate to see it go to waste.

On another note is it possible to upgrade the FSB as well, just in case the prices ever go down.

10. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I also have a beige G3 that will (probably) be updated. For $200 from sonnet you can get a 700mhz upgrade chip...G4. That would be fine for me anyway. I won't be running OS X however, probably stick with 8.6 or if I get ambitious I may upgrade to 9.2.2 to take full advantage of the G4 and the USB card I put in (it works but some things like scroll wheels on mice don't work w/o 9+). I also am putting in the $19 to add 4mb of ram to my 2mb vid ram...for whopping total of 6mb! But its worth the $19 imo. I already have 224mb ram and thats fine for this old beast. The only way that these upgrades won't happen is if the mac mini sees a 1.8ghz processor and 5400rpm hd and maybe the ability to take a 2gb ram chip THIS SUMMER! If not, this beige is gonna be rockin' and I won't stop using it until the mac mini does meet those specs, even if I have to wait for intel inside.

**edit**
    Looks like I'm crazy enough that I may even update my PM 7200/90 to 400mhz for $90 and run Seti on that too!