Upgrade G4 400mhz Sawtooth or cut to G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by element8, Dec 4, 2005.

1. element8 macrumors newbie

Hello any advice is appreciated!:confused:

I have a trusty 400 mhz sawtooth that is long in the tooth. I was thinking of doing an overhaul that may look like this:

1) Processor upgrade: 1.2 ghz or more (dual option) $250-450
    2) Graphics upgrade: ATI 9000 64 mb $120 (from 16mb ATI Rage)
    3) Add another 512 Ram: $70
    4) Add DVD burner: $60

Total: $530-700

-or-

Get a new dual core 2 ghz G5 or referb 2 ghz for $1,500-1,800. I need to do this soon to complete a DVD authoring project.

Thanks.

2. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

dude here is an option
    sell you powermac
    and buy my tricked out udgraded sawtooth
    1ghz w/ L3 cache
    1gb
    120gb
    ati 9000 pro 128mb
    zip
    dvd
    tiger

also have a g4 quicksilver
    1.467 w/ L3 cache
    1.25gb
    120gb
    GeForce 3 or Ati 9000
    dual layer 16x burner
    airport
    tiger

ohh yea

or if you wanna upgrade your existing g4 i have tons of parts for you

3. element8 thread starter macrumors newbie

dayum

You got a store or something? Well, how much for the ati 9000 128 mb card? Is it 2x AGP? What're asking for the first set-up?

4. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

nope i just love g4's and like to tinker
    that why i have tons of parts

for the ati 9000 pro 128mb 2x (it will working in all g4 agp and up)
    wont work in the pic graphics one $95 shipped

PM me about the 1st powermac
    i probally looking in the $600 range for those spec, but i can adjust spec to your needs
    lmk

5. ghostee macrumors 6502

You could always get a Mac mini for less than the cost of upgrading the sawtooth. Video card would only be 32mb, but 1.4ghz processor would be better than the 1.2 you'd be upgrading to.

Or just grab a new Powermac. :cool:

6. element8 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ghostee and doucy2.

I guess I'll need to think it over. For me it's a kinda big decision since I'll most likely stick to it for at least a few years. But a dual g5 sure sounds juicy.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I second this advice. You can get a mini for about what you would pay for the upgrade and if you get one of the updated ones (I would think those are becoming fairly standard now) then you will have a 64MB Graphics card. I have to sell my Dual 1.8 due to financial reasons but after Christmas I should have more money. I will be considering a mini (if they get updated to the Intel chips) or a dual core 2.0 PowerMac :) I would go with a mini if I was you if you NEED a new computer now.

8. element8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Chrispy, never really gave the mini a look. Kinda looks...mini. Hard to believe that'll kick the arse outta what I'm using now. (Well a new scientific calculator can probably do that).

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Its amazing what a faster processor, more memory and a faster FSB can do for you ;) Minis really are great computer thanks to their compact size and great reliability.

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If u plan to upgrade, dont buy Radeon 9000, buy 9600 instead. R9000 doesnt support CoreImage, so 9600 will be more useful in the future :)

If DVDs is your job, get G5. However if u can afford to let Mac render overnight, G4 will be just fine (I made DVDs on my eMac in sig, just left it render overnight)

He said he'll be getting dual 1.2

11. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I have a mini on my desk, right next to an upgraded Sawtooth, now with a 1GHz processor. Of the two systems, my preference is by far for the upgraded Sawtooth. The mini is a good system without doubt, but the Sawtooth has far greater flexibility - there's not much you can do in the way of upgrading a mini, but you can pretty much tailor a Sawtooth to your own specific needs. Mine has a 1GHz processor, a DVD burner, 2Gb RAM, 3 hard drives and two video cards so I can drive 2 or 3 displays. It makes an awesome system for video work, and while the mini's processor is faster, the 2 120Gb 7200rpm drives I added to the Sawtooth make it faster at handling file-intensive tasks.

Overall, I'd say if you have sufficient funds to stretch to a G5, that would be the most sensible option given you likely anticipate you'll not be investing in a replacement system for a while. But if cost is a crucial issue, upgrading your Sawtooth is the cheapest way to get the performance gains you need, and target the features you need the most.

12. element8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm planning on getting a referb. iMac 2ghz. 20" for $1,300. That a good price? I figure after I finish my project that I'll sell it and hopefully get most of my money back.