upgrade iMac Duo & MBP to N?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thestaton, Jan 12, 2007.

1. thestaton macrumors 6502

with the Apple TV & the new airport extreme out I'm left thinking what about those of us who have a original Duo iMac & Mac Book Pro.

Or for those who still have impressive G5 systems.

Has apple made any mention about being able to upgrade these?

I would hate to think that we would be forced into buying a new apple just for N.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Highly doubtful you're going to be able to upgrade the WiFi cards in those models, as it is not a user serviceable part. And I doubt you'll really need to, in most cases. iTunes videos aren't high enough bitrate (I think) to even saturate a G connection as long as you have good signal quality.

Of course if you decide you do need N, you could just buy a USB adapter for your Mac. No reason to buy a whole new computer.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The iMac Core Duo has a reasonably accessible wireless card. It's still a pain to open it up though.

4. thestaton thread starter macrumors 6502

I know I could change out the laptop and the iMac if the cards are in fact replaceable.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Even if the cards are replaceable, does Apple use special firmware on the mac versions of these cards?

6. NightStorm macrumors 68000

They (or a 3rd party) could release a 802.11n ExpressCard for the MBP Core Duo systems. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you are on the road it is not like %random% wireless router is going to be an Airport Extreme. Something gives me the feeling that the implementation used by Apple is very vendor specific.

8. adamyoshida macrumors regular

While I haven't opened up a C2D MacBook or iMac, weren't the regular Airport Extreme cards in a standardized form-factor, like the original Airport? I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to, in a little bit, buy an off-the-shelf Airport-N card and replace the Airport-G card in your system.

9. NightStorm macrumors 68000

The 'N' cards require three antennas, and the 'G' ones only have two. At least that is what I have read elsewhere.

10. Object-X macrumors 6502a

Object-X

But then my iMac won't be perfect! :p