Upgrade MacRumors?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by SolidSnake, Oct 7, 2006.

1. SolidSnake macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2005
    Who here thinks that the Forums should be updated? The forums are very helpful and are very popular now so i think that MacRumors Forums should undergo should plastic surgery. A different layout, a variant of colors schemes ect? What do you all think?
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    God no. I've seen so many vBulletin forums that are ugly as sin because of colour schemes and a heavy overdose of graphical nonsense.

This one should carry on keeping it simple. No clutter.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes... I believe it's time for a face-lift, a fresher look, but not a major overhaul.

I've said my piece about this before in similar threads and would offer what help I could but web's not my strength at all although as a print designer I'm naturally interested in the subject in terms of colour, layout and legibility.

Some things here work quite well; others less so as the number of forums have expanded.
  4. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I like the simple clean look of the forums but wouldn't mind seeing some alternative ideas. Maybe people should post some suggestions/mockups for a new site design, we could vote it down to a shortlist, then present that to arn for a final say?
  5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    I would like some more Aqua themes, and an OS X styled background (like the mod you can get in firefox for MR)...
  6. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Could you possibly post a screenshot of this Firefox thing?
  7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Personally, I'd prefer a non-Aqua look to the site. It seems that every other Apple related site and its dog has an Aquafied look, and it's something that dates very quickly.

I generally like things the way they are here, but that's not to say that I would be against any alterations that made things a little clearer and legible – just not change for change's sake. ;)
  8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    No. Keep them exactly as is. They're perfectly legible and not too flashy, which is purely an annoyance.
  9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you've got 'em, post 'em right here and we'll see what arn or anybody else likes.
  10. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I quite like the way MacRumors is laid out/displayed. Much better than the majority of forums I visit anyway.

One thing I don't like is the logo. No offense to whoever designed it, but it just looks amateurish and outdated to me. But then again, what do I know? :rolleyes:

If it's not broken don't fix it, eh?
  11. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Did you know the logo has a hidden element to it? :)
  12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's fine, including the logo. Nothing gets in the way of the discussion and that's the main thing about forums, isn't it?
  13. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    The logo's not gonna change.

The layout may change... or at the very least refreshed. I was looking into getting a better icon-set, but it hasn't been that easy to find a good one. If there are any professional or serious-amateur icon designers amongst our ranks who would be interested, you should contact me.

14. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    amen to that. Best forum I've ever seen!