Upgrade Motherboard of G4 AGP for processor upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by WannabeSQ, Jun 12, 2003.

1. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2002
    I have a sawtooth G4 500, and depending on what goes down at WWDC I may just buy a CPU upgrade instead of a new computer. I am looking at the single 1.4ghz OWC or GigaDesigns upgrades, probably the OWC because it looks better :) Anyway, it will do 1.467 on a 133mhz bus, my question is, could I buy a newer motherboard? And, i think i would need a 22 pin power supply, and faster ram (was gonna upgrade that anyway)

Is it worth it? Or should I just be happy at 1.4 (which MacBidouille got 1.5 with no cooling mods...)
  2. fred_garvin macrumors member

Apr 6, 2003
    I have a sawtooth 400, and was also thinking about upgrading. Based on all the articles I read about the current macs, where the G4 1.25 or 1.42 is starved for data by the 167Mhz bus, I'm thinking it would be a waste to put in anything over 1.0 Ghz into a sawtooth with a 100mhz bus.

Does anyone have any insight?
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    fred you are referring to the dual machines, i think a 133 bus with a single 1.46 would be close to max but it is a lot cheaper then a new machine for say $1500 ?? Also if the 970's do show i dont think this is going keep g4 prices high if you get my drift. Im in the same boat with a 733.