Upgrade my 1.6G G5 or getting a x86 OSX PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ug.mac, Dec 7, 2005.

  1. ug.mac macrumors member

    ug.mac

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2004
    Location:
    Vancouver, B.C
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I have a 1.6Ghz PM G5 running 10.4.3, and I do ALOT of graphic stuff, RAW processing etc. I have 2GB ram on it but I can still feel HUGE lags when switching between apps(PS, Flash, Indesign, etc), waiting for windows response, browsing full Flash web sites, even I need to wait about 2 secs when I try to open layer style window in PS CS2, it's really really....really annoying. So I'm thinking about upgrade now, I could get a better HD for better Read/Write performance (My stock HD sux big time in Xbench test) but I don't expect much. Maybe a better graphic card? More RAM?

    I'm also think about getting a x86 OSX competible box to run OSX on it, a Pentium 4 D 830 dual core processor with Intel 945G MB, 1 gig DDR2 costs about 650 CAD, it will not only smoked a dual 2Ghz G5 in PS test, but also stable enough from users feed back.

    So I'm confusing right now, I don't want spend 3xxx CAD to get a new G5, but I do need a better OSX machine.

    Any input will be appreciated.

    ug.
     
  2. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #2
    a small upgrade to the HDD ie a raptor 10,000 rpm might improve the speed slightly -

    but them dual core's do look mighty tasty :rolleyes:
     
  3. budugu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #3

    Do we have a x86 binary PS or indesign?

    If not then your (only?) solution is to build a dual opteron/athlon/P-D machine and run these software under windows (linux if you donot like the word!). I think RAM is decently cheap now a days try bumping it to 4. But i doubt it is going to solve the problem but should help. HDs i thought all disks were 7200 RPMs. Does G5 support the new 10k SATAs?
     
  4. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #4
    I would advise against that. Ignoring the legal side of things, you would still have all sorts of problems - eg. app x needs OS γ, and OS γ needs crack δ to run on motherboard ε...

    (I would've just used X, Y and Z, but I ran out of letters :p)
     
  5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

    shadowmoses

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    #5
    go the x86 direction as long as you do some research and pick all the right hardware it will work a treat...

    SHAdow
     
  6. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #6
    Well it might work originally, with OS 10.4.3, but then what happens in 2007? The DTKs (developer transition kits) are only leased through to the end of 2006, so the first OS update of 2007 (let's say 10.4.6) will probably break support for the D915 (the Intel board used in the DTK).

    Once 10.4.6 is out, it won't be long before apps start requiring it. What happens next? You need to wait for someone to make a crack for 10.4.6, then install it, without screwing up your installation. Are you supposed to install the crack first, then the 10.4.6 update? Are you supposed to modify the 10.4.6 updater somehow? Did you accidentally install the update without the crack and render your system unbootable? All this sort of thing needs to be considered before you jump into an unsupported configuration.
     

Share This Page