Upgrade My iBook or Get a PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LaMerVipere, Jun 7, 2004.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I have a 12" iBook G4 800MHz with all the other stock specs...

Would it be better for me to upgrade the ram to 640, add an airport extreme card, and get an airport express

Sell my iBook G4 for about $800 or so and get a new 12" PowerBook G4 Combo and an airport express? I probably wouldn't be able to upgrade the ram for a while though.

I can afford either, but I basically am just wondering if it's really worth it for me to upgrade to a whole new machine or just keep my iBook and add the ram, airport etc...

Which would you do? Thanks a lot! :)

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    You haven't said what you need to do with the machine?

But I'd say you're better off with a slower processor and more RAM than a faster machine crippled by insufficient RAM.

Upgrade, there isn't a huge difference between your iBook and the current 12" PB anyway. You'll be able to do pretty much anything you could do with the new PB just marginally (and imperceptibly) slower. Unless you want it for gaming then the PB isn't the machine for you either.
  3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    i'd suggust you go with the updates, enjoy your laptop for a few more years and then buy a new one
    upgrading too frequently just costs too much
  4. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    I'll be very impressed if you can sell you iBook for US$800.

I would lean towards the Powerbook, but perhaps you might be interested in this site...

Up the RAM, HDD and optical drive and you've got a souped up Rev A Powerbook - how nice! ;)