Upgrade my RevA 17" PB to a Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac or RevD PB?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by HelloNateR, May 7, 2005.

1. HelloNateR macrumors newbie

After being one of the first to get a RevA 17" PowerBook, 1GHz, with 1GB of RAM, I'm ready for a computer upgrade.

I'm torn between two options, and two main benefits--performance vs. portability.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

17" PowerBook $3473.00
    • 2GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2 SO-DIMMs
    • 100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)
    • 1.67GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128MB DDR)
    • 17-inch TFT Display
    Subtotal $3,473.00

Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 w/20" ACD - $3323
    • 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512
    • Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
    • 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
    • ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
    • Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
    • Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card
    • 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - U.S. English
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for Power Mac (w/ or w/o Display)
    Subtotal $3,323.00

Also, is there a huge difference between the Dual 2.0, 2.3 and 2.7GHz speeds that might be worth the extra $$?

Decisions, decisions.

I'm so used to being able to take my computer with me that it would be difficult for me to part with the portability. However, the amount of travelling I do has decreased dramatically. And, with the 1.67GHz G4 to the Dual 2.0GHz G5, it seems like the perfomance gain might be worth it.

I do a lot of graphic design with Adobe Photoshop, NON-HD video editing, and Audio Production (DigiDesign ProTools, Logic, etc.).

What would you do in my shoes?

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have an iMac G5 and just a few months ago sold my 17" 1.33GHz PB. If I were to purchase a new one to be my only computer I would go with the PowerMac that you are looking at. I loved my 17" PB but when it comes down to it the G5 PowerMac is just a lot better.....and if you do not travel as much as you used to then it should be more acceptable for you. Plus you'll be able to watch HD H.264 videos on the G5 that would be choppy on the G4 PB. Now if the PB had a G5 in it...................

3. yvovandoorn macrumors regular

Ok this may seem like a very stupid suggestion, esp. since I am a noob in the area of Macs...

If you still like portability why not get a new iMac Rev B with a 20" screen for about $2200 and then still use the rev A powerbook unless the PB is beyond any repair.

If you do non HD editing the iMac just might be enough.

Or better yet get a newer (but less feature filled laptop) so instead of getting a nice PowerMac 2.0 for $3400 or a nice laptop for around the same price, maybe spend ~$1800 on a laptop and ~$1800 on a desktop