Upgrade now or wait until 10.7.1?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by xTRIGGER092x, Jul 31, 2011.

  1. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    #1
    I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but all these complaints have unnerved me a bit. However, most of those problems to have to do with the 2011 series of Macs, which I don't have. Should I upgrade now or wait until 10.7.1?

    If something were to go horribly wrong, I could use my restore disc to reinstall SL and then use Time Machine to restore a backup, right?
     
  2. macrumors 601

    brand

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #2
    Seems pretty simple to me, just read the issues people have had in this forum and then make the decision yourself.
     
  3. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    Location:
    Munich, Germany
    #3
    Well, if you have a backup, why not give it a try.
    Else, wait, and still make sure you have got a backup. :p
     
  4. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #4
    Working perfectly for me....while there are a handful of complainers on here, the App Store is a bit more indicative of the general consensus of users!

    [​IMG]
     
  5. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2011
    #5
    Wait until they update it. It is terribly sluggish most of the time on my 2011 MacBook pro 2.3 ghz i5 with 8gb ram. Scrolling is not smooth at all in safari and mail. Video is not smooth most of the time in safari. It really is ridiculous that they released it with these performance issues.
     
  6. macrumors 6502a

    afireintonto

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    Portland
    #6
    maybe it's just the high end machines running like ****.
    i have a 2010 macbook air with 2gb ram, and core2duo 1.86 and it's running flawlessly.
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2011
  8. Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Will all your software and drivers (printers) work with Lion?

    Is there a feature that you absolutely need that Lion provides?

    Given the plethora of threads complaining about one issue another here, I'd personally wait until apple cleans up the bugs.
     
  9. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #9
    I upgraded an early 2008 24" 6GB iMac and despite some of its quirky features 10.7 has added zip to almost everything thing it does.
     
  10. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    #10
    That's cuz those having problems can't get to the Mac App Store…;)

    Seriously, if you have a good backup, give it a shot. Or install it on another bootable drive, but some of your favorite applications on it, and give it a whirl. I've had issues, and think Apple blew it in places, but it's still the best upgrade in terms of compatibility I've seen. OTOH, it doesn't give most of us must-have-now features.

    Rob
     
  11. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2009
    Location:
    Belfast, UK
    #11

    I on the other hand have a Mid09 MacBook Pro 13", which isn't a high end Mac. I can't adjust my audio volume (stuck on full volume).

    LION isn't bad, but it's really not great. If I were doing it again, I'd wait till 10.7.1.
     
  12. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 7, 2005
    #12
    Given my experience with Lion, I'll wait for 10.7.2 :mad:
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    sweetbrat

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Redford, MI
    #13
    I think it depends on your personality and what you use your computer for. If you need your computer for critical work, then I would wait. This is a .0 release, and it's going to have some issues. If you expect everything to work perfectly, then wait. If you have the type of personality that can deal with a few problems without getting all bent out of shape, then go for it. As long as you have a backup, why not? Every user's system is slightly different, so you don't know for sure what will happen until you try it.
     
  14. macrumors member

    benrockwood

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    #14
    It depends. if you have some critical applications, then wait till the app developer releases an Lion update, otherwise, it working smooth for me here
     
  15. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    United States
  16. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2008
    Location:
    Loveland, CO
    #16
    If you are a heavy user of video clips played by Quicktime or Flash, then wait. I have had daily hard freezes because of that bug. I am also waiting for updates to the Canon EOS software which currently has issues with Lion. Luckily, I am able to use Photoshop CS5 (no problems yet) and Aperture, so I can work around the issues with the Canon EOS utilities.

    Beyond the video freeze up issue, Lion has been fine.
     
  17. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    #17
    If you have to ask if you should upgrade; then don't. Fact of the matter is any hiccups (Lion induced or not) will be immediately attributed to Lion after your upgrade. Unless you are giddy with excitement over the new features Lion offers, you are unlikely to be satisfied when something goes wrong. That last sentence wasn't an inditement of Lion, there is no bug-free OS.
     

Share This Page