Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but all these complaints have unnerved me a bit. However, most of those problems to have to do with the 2011 series of Macs, which I don't have. Should I upgrade now or wait until 10.7.1?

If something were to go horribly wrong, I could use my restore disc to reinstall SL and then use Time Machine to restore a backup, right?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Seems pretty simple to me, just read the issues people have had in this forum and then make the decision yourself.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Working perfectly for me....while there are a handful of complainers on here, the App Store is a bit more indicative of the general consensus of users!

Screen%252520Shot%2525202011-07-31%252520at%2525206.33.14%252520PM.png

nutso12

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011
Wait until they update it. It is terribly sluggish most of the time on my 2011 MacBook pro 2.3 ghz i5 with 8gb ram. Scrolling is not smooth at all in safari and mail. Video is not smooth most of the time in safari. It really is ridiculous that they released it with these performance issues.

afireintonto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Portland
maybe it's just the high end machines running like ****.
i have a 2010 macbook air with 2gb ram, and core2duo 1.86 and it's running flawlessly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will all your software and drivers (printers) work with Lion?

Is there a feature that you absolutely need that Lion provides?

Given the plethora of threads complaining about one issue another here, I'd personally wait until apple cleans up the bugs.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but all these complaints have unnerved me a bit. However, most of those problems to have to do with the 2011 series of Macs, which I don't have. Should I upgrade now or wait until 10.7.1?

If something were to go horribly wrong, I could use my restore disc to reinstall SL and then use Time Machine to restore a backup, right?

I upgraded an early 2008 24" 6GB iMac and despite some of its quirky features 10.7 has added zip to almost everything thing it does.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Working perfectly for me....while there are a handful of complainers on here, the App Store is a bit more indicative of the general consensus of users!

That's cuz those having problems can't get to the Mac App Store…;)

Seriously, if you have a good backup, give it a shot. Or install it on another bootable drive, but some of your favorite applications on it, and give it a whirl. I've had issues, and think Apple blew it in places, but it's still the best upgrade in terms of compatibility I've seen. OTOH, it doesn't give most of us must-have-now features.

Rob

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
maybe it's just the high end machines running like ****.
i have a 2010 macbook air with 2gb ram, and core2duo 1.86 and it's running flawlessly.

I on the other hand have a Mid09 MacBook Pro 13", which isn't a high end Mac. I can't adjust my audio volume (stuck on full volume).

LION isn't bad, but it's really not great. If I were doing it again, I'd wait till 10.7.1.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I think it depends on your personality and what you use your computer for. If you need your computer for critical work, then I would wait. This is a .0 release, and it's going to have some issues. If you expect everything to work perfectly, then wait. If you have the type of personality that can deal with a few problems without getting all bent out of shape, then go for it. As long as you have a backup, why not? Every user's system is slightly different, so you don't know for sure what will happen until you try it.

benrockwood

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
It depends. if you have some critical applications, then wait till the app developer releases an Lion update, otherwise, it working smooth for me here

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
If you are a heavy user of video clips played by Quicktime or Flash, then wait. I have had daily hard freezes because of that bug. I am also waiting for updates to the Canon EOS software which currently has issues with Lion. Luckily, I am able to use Photoshop CS5 (no problems yet) and Aperture, so I can work around the issues with the Canon EOS utilities.

Beyond the video freeze up issue, Lion has been fine.

Cheule

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
If you have to ask if you should upgrade; then don't. Fact of the matter is any hiccups (Lion induced or not) will be immediately attributed to Lion after your upgrade. Unless you are giddy with excitement over the new features Lion offers, you are unlikely to be satisfied when something goes wrong. That last sentence wasn't an inditement of Lion, there is no bug-free OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.