Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Hey all -

Just came upon an old PowerMac G4. I don't have a monitor to connect to to yet, so I'm not sure what speed the processor is and such. (The model # is M8570 if that helps anyone...)

Anyways, I was wondering if it's possible and how difficult it would be to upgrade this machine with a new processor and video card. Also, I know these old Macs can only handle up to a gig of RAM. Is there any way to expand that capability (I've got a bunch of 1 gig sticks of RAM that need a home).

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave H

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2008
California

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
The fastest processor on the MDD G4's is only 450 MHz, right?

Are there any companies that sell faster processors for old Mac's?

Sorkvild

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2007
My last mac was this very model, and I upgraded just about everything I could on it... and I realized that the cost was just not worth it. The total amount I spent on upgrades could have gone toward a waaay better intel mac. However, if 1. this will be your only computer for a long time or 2. you really have enough money to pour into it, then by all means go for it...

But especially now I would advise against it just because its a PPC and they are slowly becoming a dying breed :p.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
The fastest processor on the MDD G4's is only 450 MHz, right?

Are there any companies that sell faster processors for old Mac's?

I think you can actually get like 2.0GHz aftermarket upgrade for them.

But seriously, don't put too much time/money into it.

It would make a fine file server or web machine, but beyond that it's aging pretty fast.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i think if you have to ask "should i upgrade" - and you are financially able to, of course.

then the answer is yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.