Upgrade paths of academic and normal software versions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lopes, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Lopes macrumors regular

Is there any difference in the upgrade paths between Apple's (or adobe's too, for that matter) academic and normal software versions? For example, i currently have Final cut pro 4 and DVD studio pro 2 ACADEMIC....can i buy the regular DVD studio pro 3 upgrade (since i'm no longer a student) or do i have to get the academic version?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The only difference is in price. The software is the same, with the exception that it might say somewhere ("About This [software title]") that it's the edu version. That's all.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

This is true in most cases (3rd party software), but with Apple's software, its an identical match. It's just a lower price. ;)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hence the "might". Didn't think the whole tamale needed to be laid out.

5. Lopes thread starter macrumors regular

So i can upgrade an academic version with a normal retail version? Or vice-versa?

6. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Not a clue, I'd call apple or an apple store and give them an ask, if anyone would know its Apple. I myself have FCP 3 Academic, exact same, cept it was cheaper and techinically you can't use it to make a profit according to the licence. But I won't be graduating for several more years(i'm on that 7 year plan :) ) I might pick up this new production bundle since its 499 academic, and thats a steal, thats what you used to have to pay just for FCP.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes.