Upgrade: Puma - Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sidphoenix, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Sidphoenix macrumors newbie

Well, I want to know if I can upgrade my Beige PowerPC G3 with 416mb of ram, and 633mhz processor from Puma (10.1.5) to Tiger. When I pop in the first disk, and hit Install Mac OS X, it says "Mac OS X 10.4 cannot be installed on this system - Please consult the documentation for a list of supported computers." So I check it out, and it says that I need:

PowerPC G3 through G5 (which I have)
    A DVD Drive (which I dont need - CD upgrade disks)
    Firewire (which is only for Mac to Mac install)
    At least 256mb of Ram (which I have)
    Built in video card (got it)
    At least 3gb of space (got that too)

Any ideas?

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um...

The reasons they list requirements such as "built-in firewire" has nothing to do with actually using it, rather the date that model of computer came out.

G3s (without built-in firewire or usb) need xpostfacto in order to install anything above Jaguar. Do a search online for it.

3. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Don't

Sorry, butI wouldn't put Tiger on that. You can cheat the Installer with xpostfacto, but your computer is (no offense) not really new enough to handle it.

4. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

EXACTLY. these are artificial limits that apple put on OS's to keep people from installing new versions on machines that, although they are technically capable of running it, they make a horrible user experience out of it. nobody needs a DVD drive. you could use external HDs, CDs, an iPod, or zips to get the OS installer files to the machine, but any machine too old to have a DVD drive is not gonna have any fun on OS X, so they put that in the system reqs. You don't really need FW either, most switchers who dont have ipods never even use Firewire, but a pre-firewire machine is outside the 'requirements' because apple doesnt want users to see OS X run like molasses because it's on an 8 year old machine. They're doing it for you man, I'd just take it like a man, your machine, though faithfully performing, is just too old for tiger.

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

6. mpw Guest

I've put Tiger on a 700Mhz G3 iBook with 384MB of RAM and it's a vast improvement over Jaguar. Would the 633Mhz here be that much worse?

7. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Well 922, I know its not high end, I mean look at the specs. I bought this G3 for $30, and just added some old junky ram to it. I dont need top of the line to run what I need it for. As for "xpostfacto", im looking into that as we speak, er type.

8. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Since you say you have a 633 MHz G3, I assume that's an upgraded or overclocked processor since I don't believe there were any Apple Beige G3s with 633 MHz (though I can't even find a processor upgrade with that exact speed). If it's either of those, that could potentially prevent installation.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My girlfriend is running Tiger on a Pismo, a 400 MHz G3, with 512 MB RAM. That runs quite smoothly. Just keep 6-8 GB free HD space and lay off the Widgets... ;)

10. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

its not all about the clock speed...
    fsb, hd, ram speed, etc all effect things a lot. thats why cpu upgrades are not always worth it.

11. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, if you want the basic installation I would say to just go for it. I've installed 10.3 on a 250MHz Wallstreet with 160MB RAM and was going to install 10.4 except for the fact I couldn't find any Tiger installations on CD.

Hopefully I can find a DVD install of Tiger so that I can trade it in for some CDs :D

Once again, X is well worth it and even being "hacked" on there with XPostFacto runs great. I would just say that if you want Tiger, buy a better PCI graphics card for it.

12. steelfist macrumors 6502a

for me, hell yea. if panther > tiger is worth it for me, then puma to tiger too.
    if it can run puma, it can run tiger.

13. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Its 266 not 466, that was my bad, so dont make that big of a deal out of it. As for xpostfacto, I seemed to have f***ed something up....After running the program, my mac shutoff, then it would only boot to Mac 9.Something. Ok, so thats not that bad, but my mouse and keyboard stopped working. So I restarted, and was going to reinstall 10.1, well I guess I can since my KB and mouse stopped working, so I tried a brand new HD, and now it still doesnt work. Seems like something screwed up along those lines.... Ill figured out a way to fix it though, hopefully.

14. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Tiger will run more smoothly than Puma guarenteed if you lay off the widgets and you have enough RAM, Go for the update,

Shadow

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

what? no. i have to say this Mac might be better off not running tiger. Time to upgrade the whole Mac? keep this one running Os9 and OsX and get a Mac Mini to run new stuff.

16. mpw Guest

Care to say why?

17. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

The point is I got this computer for under $50, and with that said does it really look like I have enough for a $500 computer? The only reason I want to get Tiger running on my machine is because all the programs I use at work, arent supported for Puma, only Tiger.

18. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

I have a PB G3 500 MHz and 384MB RAM and 11GB HD, and it runs Tiger just fine. Of course you can't compare it to my G5 and it did run Panther faster, but I just love Spotlight and would not switch back.

19. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to get my USB mouse working while installing Puma? I think the keyboard works ok, but I cant navigate the installer with it, and I dont have a normal mouse that plugs into the keyboard, so I cant isntall Puma. As for OS 9.2, it wont run! When I boot normally, it trys to boot with OS 9, but it gets an error while loading the first extension.

20. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Try holding shift during start up.

21. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I popped in another blank HD, reset the nvram crap, and got Puma installed again. Now back to the xpostfacto thingy....

22. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I started xpostfacto, and it has the following:

Select Volume
    Main
    (XPF 4 Requires 10.2 or later)
    XPostFacto4
    (Not a bootable device)

Select Install CD
    Mac OS X Install Disc 1
    (Mac OSX 10.4 Install CD)

Ok, now if I cant select the main volume, or the XPF4 volume, will that result in another Mac freakout (what happened last time)? Also, do I just need to select an install CD, and restart? Please explain!

23. Sidphoenix thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I pointed it to a harddrive, selected the install disk, and hit install to CD, then it says that BootX cant be installed. Whats up with that?