Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by wsteineker, Aug 8, 2002.

1. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Yo Yo Yo! I've been out of the country all summer, so I missed all the MWNY fun. Reading over the forums, it looks like things were pretty cool. Alright, on to the question.

I'm upgrading my Cube 450 with one of the PowerLogix upgrades. I can't decide which one I should get, though. The 1 GHz chip is $799 and the 800 MHz chip is $599. I'm wondering if the extra 200 MHz is worth an extra $200. Just in case you're wondering, I'll list system specs below so you'll get a little better idea what I'm working with.

G4 Cube 450 (To Be Upgraded), 1.5 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD, GeForce3, and I will be upgrading to Jaguar.

Hope that helps, folks. Any input that you guys could provide would be great. Thanks! :)

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well

Think of what you use your computer for, if 800mhz will be ok for you then go for that, but if you use Final Cut Pro 3, Photoshop 7, Virtual PC. Also think of it, you want your mac to last as long as it can. Although for $799 you could get a used computer from www.macofalltrades.com It's really your choice but if you used hi-speed programs... well maybe the extra speed will help you. :)

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Well

A G4 450 Cube without the 1GHz Upgrade, 1.5GB Ram, GeForce 3, etc. from Mac of All Trades costs $899. No used Mac you buy for $799 will run at 1GHz and have the Ram and GeForce 3. I say go for the upgrade card, but which one is really based on what you will use the machine for and how long you want it to last.

4. MacMaster macrumors 6502

I'd get the 1Ghz upgrade!:D Then you would have the ULTIMATE cube! Think about it! A cube with a 1ghz G4, 1.5GB RAM, and a GeForce3! That's one really good system!

5. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Alright, I'll answer a few questions. First, I'd like to know that this computer is going to last another few years (at least 2). I don't want to get rid of my Cube, as I'm upgrading instead of getting a new iMac because I love the design. As for my power needs. I play with Photoshop 7 and Dreamweaver, but aside from that it's web browsing, word processing, e-mail, and The Sims. Hope that helps you guys figure out what I'm working with. Thanks again!

One more thing. I could take the $200 difference and apply it toward upgrading my 15" studio display to a 17" model. Just some food for thought...

6. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Well, lets see...If you're going to want it to last that long you're going to want the 1ghz chip. But that 17" display would also be good to have for what you do...Just some things to think about...You have to make a choice, more power or more space...It's a hard choice, but it's your call.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My choice would be to buy the 800 MHz upgrade and the 17 inch LCD. The 200 MHz might make a little difference in Photoshop and browsing, but the extra screen space for tools is priceless, especially with Mac OS X taking more room than Mac OS 9.

8. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Hmmmm...

I read on another post here (sorry, I can't remember which one now) that a person was told that the Cube could only take the 800mhz upgrade. I can't remember the reason that they were told, only that they posted that info. I guess I really haven't helped, huh? Oh well, I tried. :rolleyes:

gus

9. MacMaster macrumors 6502

If you use the Sonnet upgrade with the cube you can only use the 800mhz version...With powerlogix you can go up to 1ghz.

10. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Ok, so I guess it's going to be the 800 MHz upgrade. The extra screen real estate is just too tempting to pass up. As for the worry about Photoshop, I don't use it enough for it to be a deal breaker. I only play with it when I'm editing graphics for my one webpage. A few extra seconds shouldn't matter much there. It'll still be one powerful Mac. I never would have thought when I bought the Cube that it'd be pumping a GeForce3 and an 800 MHz G4. Looks like expandability and beauty really don't have to compromise too much after all! Thanks for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it. :)

11. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

You should wait until Apple releases the new Powermacs(on Tues)
    to see if the price of those cards drops!!:p

12. Arcady macrumors 6502

I say go for the gold and get the 1ghz upgrade. You'll probably never have to upgrade it again, and in a few months who will care about an extra $200?

I paid like $800 for one of the very first G3 upgrade cards. I don't regret it, because for a year or so I had the fastest PowerMac 8500 in town.

13. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Having a Cube myself, I can't wait to do the 1Ghz upgrade - when they come into stock in the UK (we're the last to get anything - movies, technology, games...).

Sonnet, by the way, have done an about-face on the status of THEIR 1Ghz upgrade for the Cubes, saying recently to www.cube-zone.com that they are now compatible, providing you buy the installation kit.

The two processor cards are fundamentally the same - basically, the only difference is backside cache (the Sonnet one is bigger)l.

I'd say GO FOR IT - if you want more vision real estate, check out www.ebay.com and wait until a 22" LCD display becomes available again. There are always a few around, and I've seen them go for about £1000 (that's a saving of 60% from new...).

:cool: