Upgrade RAM for iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by greenguy4, Aug 16, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    Any specific place to buy or brand that is more reccommended than others?
  2. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Crucial (see link in the ads on this page, right above the thread) tends to be reliable and well-priced. You might want to try visiting the site with a few different browsers and OS's (if possible) to get the best price, though. They engage in target pricing.

Edit: Reference, just because I like to backup my claims.
  3. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
    That's weird, I never knew that. I never knew that was even possible. I'd like to learn how to do that for my site. :D
  4. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm not saying that it's not true because it's obviously happened to others, but that has never happened to me. I guess I'm just lucky.. heh heh

Regardless, Crucial.com is the best place to buy ram in my opinion. About three months ago I bought a 256 chip for my iBook for a whopping 30 bucks with free overnight shipping! I just used the free standard shipping but since it shipped from my own town it got to my apartment the next day. ;)
  5. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    it happend to me...i bought 1gb with safari for $145.....the next day i was checking my order at work (windows xp, IE) and it was like $130....but anyways CRUCIAL is IMO the best...and fast shippin too...and look what happend to my ibook ....http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=142935&highlight=ibook+steroids
  6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    In addition to Crucial, the other places commonly cited on threads here are:
    www.macsales.com aka OWC

Both guarantee Mac compatability and offer lifetime replacement warranties.
    To my knowledge (based on reading these forums as well as checking prices frequently), these other sites do not engage in 'dynamic' pricing.
    I recently ordered a 1GB from DataMem for my iMac - should be delivered in a day or two.
    My experience with them thus far has been pleasant & professional.

Good luck!
  7. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    thanks for ALL your help guys! After reading those posts I decided to splurge and get the 1 gig stick from crucial. I bought it from Buy.com however. They had it selling for $140 and then they have a %10 off coupon so I only paid $126 w/free shipping! Quite a steal!!!
  8. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Hey, do you happen to have a direct link? Sounds like the deal of the day!
  9. disdat macrumors regular

Jul 21, 2005
    New England USA
    NewEgg.com Crucial Ram

I found this link this morning Crucial notebook ram for $118

Is there any reason why it is so cheap at newegg.com vs crucial.com? It looks like the same exact ram but for much cheaper. Will crucial still warrenty it?