Upgrade Shure E2c to E4c?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by cwright, Mar 10, 2007.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

Ok, long story short... I lost my Shure E2c earbuds a while back, then finally gave up looking for them and decided to order new earbuds. Not wanting to spend so much money on the same item, I figured now is the time to upgrade.

So, I ordered the Shure E4c earbuds on Amazon (found them for $200, retail is $300). And of course, after placing the order, I found my old E2c set. :rolleyes:

My problem is, I still want to keep the E4c (it hasn't arrived yet), but I need some help justifying the extra expense. Has anyone compared the two?

I'm no audiophile, but I know good music when I hear it. I noticed a vast difference between the Sony canalphones (EX-71 or something like that) and the E2c, but how about the jump to the E4c? Is it worth it?

I don't listen to lossless music, but I do encode all my CDs at MP3 256kbps. (and yes, I have to use MP3 because the MP3-CD player in my car won't read MP4)

Thanks

2. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

If you can send them back, you'll only be out the cost of the shipping.

The Shure E4C probably sounds best if you rip your CD's using Apple Lossless format in iTunes. Otherwise, the difference the cheaper E2C and much more expensive E4C is probably not worth it.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

You'll hear a significant difference at 256, though I sure recommend lossless, and the e4C's. I have them and I love them.

4. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea just about everything is ripped at 256, but if I keep the E4C I'm sure I'd go back and re-rip my favorite CDs in lossless.

I hear the E4's have significantly better bass than the E2's (and the E3, for that matter). Is that true?

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Sorry to bring up a week old thread. I have e3c's and had an option to upgrade to e4c's, but I couldn't justify the difference. Between e2c and e3c is a huge difference, and imho, further up from there is marginal. However, if you got a good price on your 4's, just enjoy them.