upgrade Superdrive to Dual layer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by adamfilip, Jul 28, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

My G5 has a superdrive
    But i want it to burn dual layer dvd's
    there are dual layer burners on the market
    can i simple swap one in?

or is there a particular one? that i need

2. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Lacie recently came out with a dual-layer burner that includes Toast 6 for ~US$240. It's external, and you can just chain it with your other firewire devices. Easier than exchanging drives, gives you an extra optical drive, and not a bad price given that Toast is included.

Edit: It's available at http://store.apple.com, and it's US$239. Just go to the store and search for Lacie DVD. I'd post a link, but the WebObjects stuff makes that difficult to do...

Note also that it is a dual-layer burner, although the Apple Store fails to mention that.

3. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

If they had them then why wouldn't they have some sort of built to order option. I know that these are external, but is it that hard to put an internal in there?

4. macrumors 65816

if it's really bugging you, you could dismantle it and just install the drive internally...i suspect they designed it as external because 1. wider range of users (portable and desktop) 2. adds another optical drive instead of replacing, now you can burn straight from disk 3.heat/space concerns? just trying to make 3 reasons ;).

5. macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

My guess is that Apple puts only Pioneer Super Drive in the Powermac. For now Pioneer doesn't have a dual layer drive yet. It announced the DVR-A08XL for August though which should be available for Powermac thereafter.

6. macrumors 6502

just throw one in and there is a patch for unsupported drives to be supported just like regular superdrive from apple so you can use it with itunes idvd ect.

7. macrumors 68040

rickvanr

the lacie drive is either over priced or top of the line.

i bought a NEC dual layer DVD burner (2510A) today for $135 Canadian, roughly $100 USD. BUT, it is internal, although, you can buy enclosures super cheap.

8. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Is the media even available for those yet? It doesn't do you much good to have a dual layer burner if you don't have any dual layer media--or if a single dual layer disk costs as much as a spindle of DVD-R media.

I'd say you should pick something else to worry about for about a year.

9. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    they're out, but they aren't in wide release yet.. best price i've found is $8.36/pc (100 spindle)

I would wait til all the spec are finalized. it really makes no sense unless you want to pirate movies with full quality. (and they dont work in my stand-alone dvd players)

10. macrumors 68040

Grimace

It says on the spec sheet that this drive will support DVD+RW - something Apple hasn't done. Will this drive really go in the G5s, or will Apple be stupid and have them produce a DVD-RW (only) option??

11. macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that the existing 8X SuperDrives support DVD+/-RW, but that Apple's software/drivers only enable the DVD-RW functionality. I'm no expert, just repeating received superstition.

Cheers,

Crikey

12. macrumors regular

current 8x sd's burn + and -, i have one

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

all superdrives burn R +/-and rw+/-

but i want o burn Dual layer 8+gb's

14. macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

I don't know about the G5 but the super drive in the Powerbook burn the two formats fine.

15. macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I bought my dual G5 in March. I think it's got the 4x superdrive. Will this burn dvd-rw?

16. thread starter macrumors 6502a

adamfilip

yes my 4x superdrive has burned too

DVD+R
    DVD-R
    DVD+RW
    DVD-RW

no problems

17. macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz