Upgrade the CPU in an original Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by moodler, Nov 8, 2006.

1. moodler macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2005
    Western Australia
    Is it possible to drop a Core 2 Duo CPU into an older Macbook Pro?

Does anyone know? Has anyone tried it?
  2. amoda macrumors 6502a

Aug 9, 2006
    By what i know, the answer is no. The cpu is soldered onto the mb. So unless you have some experiance in microsoldering i wouldn't attempt it.
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Why bother? It'd probably be cheaper and MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to sell your MBP on eBay and buy a new Core 2 Duo version.
  4. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Alta Loma, CA
    No, it can not be replaced by any end user.
    Someone with the training needed to remove and replace a 400+ pin BGA processor could do it. I also doubt that Apple will release any firmware updates to take advantage of the Core2 Duo in a 1st Gen Macbook.
  5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    no you cant core 2 duo and core duo require different logic boards so youd be much better off getting a new computer.
  6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Exactly. There's no way to easily upgrade the processor.
  7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I'm sure if somebody wants to set up a rework process for replacing the CPU -- it could be done.

But you are talking about a more significant investment in equipment and technicians for CPU upgrades than most of the past Macs, except the G5s.

Plus, baking the boards other components at the wrong temp can destroy some of the more heat sensitive plastics.

Considering it is easier and cheaper for somebody to sell the machine and buy a new one ... it probably won't happen, unless somebody works at a rework center and wants to risk destroying their own MacBook.
  8. moodler thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2005
    Western Australia
  9. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    you should def. do a bit more research before making a statement like that...
    core 2 duo does not require different logic board than core duo
  10. cynerjist macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    Just my opinion, but even if the new logic board with C2D were reverse compatible, right now it would be best to sell the CD MBP and buy C2D MBP. The logic board with C2D is going to cost about the same or more than the loss you would take. In addition, you void your warranty.

Too bad they soldered the chip on. Many PC laptops support upgrades from Yonah to Merom if they have the right chipset.
  11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Considering that there have been drop-in upgrades to other machines, it certainly wouldn't seem that way.

I don't see that it couldn't be done with the right person doing the work. There have already been PowerBook G4 upgrades, but it won't happen overnight. Someone needs to figure out how to do it successfully and that will probably require a couple of fried motherboards along the way.