Upgrade Tiger (possibly P2P) with Licensed Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moonislune, Sep 28, 2005.

1. moonislune macrumors regular

When I bought my powermac g4 for the home, it came with Tiger installed on it (and of course with no licensed disc). When I contacted the seller to ask what disk he used to install Tiger, he responded with "a legitimate version of the OS".

While I have been using Tiger without problems, I have been concerned that the version he installed was a P2P or beta version, so I went ahead and ordered a legit version of the OS from Apple (only $69 with the academic discount). BTW, Ilife and Iwork are even less than that with the academic discount too!

Am I being OCD about having a copy of Tiger from Apple installed on my mac? Should I be concerned about the authenticity of the original install? Should I try to upgrade my OS with the legit version from Apple and how can I do it? Any thoughts are much appreciated.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You've done your duty in purchasing a retail version; if the version you have is working okay, there's really no reason to "upgrade." I think that if you really wanted to, the only way would be to do a "clean install," which entails erasing the entire hard drive.

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It's always a good idea to have a copy of the OS on hand in case you need to restore. I wouldn't be too worried about the source of your existing OS if you have bought the real McCoy. As for installing over it, it probably won't let you unless you do a clean install (which I would do anyway). It might not let you because it will say that you have a newer version installed already...blah, blah, blah.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Personally I would back up your data and do a wipe and reinstall. Simply because I'm not trusting enough to us a "pre-installed" OS that somebody else installed for me... espcially somebody I don't know... while it may very well be a legit install and the previous user may not have done anything, there is always the possibility that there is currently a trojan of some sort installed on your machine. But then again, I'm fairly paranoid.