Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freerollin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Hey guys (sorry for potentially posting in wrong sect)

I currently using an iPhone 4. Having a few glitches with opening apps, getting sound with or without head phones, freezing and relieving texts late, and sometimes my phone will ring but the screen is just blank so I can't answer it ...

Now I can up grade to new iPhone after release , but don't want to blindly consume everything apple just because it's what I know. Let's some fierce competition in the smart phone markets as we all know.. So what are my other options?

Help me weigh it up guys, I'm sure many (ok, some...) of you have contemplated this over the past few years

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Hey guys (sorry for potentially posting in wrong sect)

I currently using an iPhone 4. Having a few glitches with opening apps, getting sound with or without head phones, freezing and relieving texts late, and sometimes my phone will ring but the screen is just blank so I can't answer it ...

Now I can up grade to new iPhone after release , but don't want to blindly consume everything apple just because it's what I know. Let's some fierce competition in the smart phone markets as we all know.. So what are my other options?

Help me weigh it up guys, I'm sure many (ok, some...) of you have contemplated this over the past few years
Well it's your choice, as there are a number of great phones on the market. All I know is I am very pleased with the 6s Pllus. As I am invested in the iOS and OS X environment I enjoy the cross compatability and all the apps I have invested in over the years. Apparently 13,000,000 people world wide this last weekend agree with me.

There are a number of threads on this forum about people that have switched both to and from iPhones. I recommend you read those, as those people may have real info to share about plus and minus they experienced.

Last edited:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
You'll be shocked at the size/speed/weight of a new phone after going with the iPhone 4!

Phone's I'd consider (no particular order of preference):

1) iPhone (6, 6+, 6S, 6S+ to suit your budget/preference)
2) Samsung (S6, S6 Edge, Note 4, Note 5)
3) Other Android (LG G4, Nexus 6, Nexus 5 2015)

You have many options, choose one :-D.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
edge+ here. Best phone out in my opinion. The 6S wouldn't be a bad option for you, if you want Samsung I might suggest waiting 6 more months for the Galaxy S7, otherwise go with Apple unless you want a big phone like the Note 5 or edge+

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, I think the best 2 phones out are the note 5 and iPhone 6s Plus, you really can't go wrong with either. If you want a smaller phone, I like the iPhone 6S better than the GS6 and the One M9, though the Sony z5 compact could be an option if it's available to you.

However you have to ask your self some questions. If you've had the iPhone 4 since launch, that's 5 years and if you plan on keeping your next phone that long the iPhone would be a better choice. Both have sealed in batteries, it'll be easier to go to an Apple Store and get your iPhone battery replaced then getting the battery replaced on the note. It'll also get updates much faster and longer. The resale value is much higher. If you use your iPhone with other apple products and services (such as iTunes, iMessage, FaceTime, Apple TV, iPad, watch, and Mac) then you might be better off sticking with the iPhone. If your worried about starting over with your app collection, it might be better to stick with the iPhone.

But if your bored with the iPhone, don't mind repurchasing your apps, and want some of the extra features on android, the Note 5 or GS6 would be my choice.

Reactions: jamezr

GoldenDust

Suspended
Sep 24, 2015
United States

I have an iPhone 6 Plus 16GB on lease, it's an amazing phone and superiorly faster than the iPhone 5S; you have an iPhone 4, imagine what you'd get from an iPhone 6 or 6S. I also have a Galaxy Note 5 as well for my business and professional usage as well that I use time to time. It's a great phone as well. I can not decide which is superior as android and iOS ultimately falls down to the user. I've sold a Galaxy and iPhone to customers all the time, I ask them what do they want to do ultimately? What are they looking for? Simplicity? (iPhone) or a world of vast options and customizability? (Android).

EDIT:
I use my iPhone 6 Plus for personal usage.

robbyrob01

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
There are a lot of iPhone vs other phone videos. I would check those out. Nothing will give you the reliability and speed of software updates that the iPhone does though.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Your current phone is having problems for sure. Not being able to answer the phone because the screen is blank would move replacing my phone up to near the top of the list.

If you wish to stay close to your current size phone the 5S is still a great phone, if you can go bigger there is more than enough to read about Apple's new phones here.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Your current phone is having problems for sure. Not being able to answer the phone because the screen is blank would move replacing my phone up to near the top of the list.

If you wish to stay close to your current size phone the 5S is still a great phone, if you can go bigger there is more than enough to read about Apple's new phones here.

Also, if you're carrier subsidized, you can upgrade to a 5S for Free on most carriers now! If price is a factor, you could also consider going Mint used and just getting a new sim from your carrier on your same plan (iPhone 4 has a Micro Sim I believe, all phones discussed here use Nano Sims).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.