Upgrade to 16GB iPhone Without Extending Contract

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 6, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After some initial confusion, iLounge received clarification from AT&T regarding the possibility of replacing your current iPhone with a 16GB one.

Article Link

2. macrumors 68040

Grimace

You sign a new contract? But they backdate it?

AT&T, make your own internal billing easier!!

3. macrumors 6502a

Do you normally sign a new (backdated) contract when upgrading your phone? Or is this an iPhone specific thing?

4. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ah cool! Hopefully its the same if you upgrade from 1st gen to 2nd gen (whenever that is).

5. macrumors 6502a

bdj21ya

This makes no sense whatsoever. If I put my old SIM in, and throw the new one away, don't I just avoid this hassle altogether? I thought iPhones worked with any iTunes activated SIM--put it in and connect to iTunes.

Maybe they figure people will be too stupid to understand the paperclip SIM replacement diagram.

Usually, at least here in the U.S., people buy new phones subsidized, so the contract extension makes sense. But for most any company specific phone (AT&T locked in this case), or for any unlocked SIM phone, you just pop your SIM in and it works. No need to deal with the company at all if you're buying unsubsidized.

6. macrumors 6502

Note that O2 UK users don't need to sign a new contract if 'upgrading' from 8GB to 16GB (AKA buying another one and...well, getting rid of the other one somehow).

7. macrumors 68030

nbs2

Maybe that's the goal? With these "special SIMs" that ATT is using in the iPhone, this would make it easier to get rid of your old iPhone. But, what is the contract start date for the guy that you sell your phone to? Is it your old date as well or is it the date that he activates himself as the new owner (that would be kind of crappy - buy a used phone and still need to have a 2 years).

8. macrumors 6502a

darwen

You need to get the phone past the activation screen. It is only going to get past that screen if you activate a new sim in it.

There are no special sim's in iPhone, it is the phone that would prevent you from swapping sims... not the practicality of it.

Once a US phone has been activated, any AT&T sim will work in it. Before it has been activated, no sim will work in it. You need to activate the new sim which makes the old one useless. That is why it is done like this.

To put it simply, your new 16gig phone will not get past the activation screen if you put an 8gig sim in it. It needs a fresh activation with a fresh sim.

9. macrumors 6502

When they say "Sign" a contract, do they actually mean "agree to" a contract without a signature?

Because if I asked my current provider (Rogers) to show me my signature on a contract, they might find the request a little... challenging. And yet they'll happily refer to the contract I allegedly signed if I try to make major changes to my plan or try to get out of it.

10. macrumors member

11. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Upgrade Cost = $499 for new iPhone - how much you get for your old iPhone on eBay

12. macrumors member

hahaha. i thought so.

13. macrumors newbie

Question...
    If i give my wife my old iphone and i upgrade to the 16gb, what activation if any will she have to go through? She's currently on at&t.

14. macrumors 604

clayj

In my case, that would be $499 - $300 for the old phone I sold in a matter of hours on Craigslist. $200 to double my storage AND get a new phone in perfect condition is not a bad deal, as far as I am concerned.

15. sal
    macrumors 6502

what will people do with their old phones? I hear you can't use them as ipods without them being activated. I assume they can be sold and someone else can reactivate it for a new contract?

16. macrumors 6502a

1. Buy 16GB iPhone
    2. Unlock old iPhone
    3. Sell old unlocked phone on ebay for $500
    4. FREE upgrade!

17. sal
    macrumors 6502

um will people really spend $500 for an unlocked iphone?

18. macrumors regular

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this like a ground-breakingly awesome thing?

19. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

have you looked at ebay lately? last time i looked they were going for over $500! take a look..it will blow your mind

20. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

A while ago I contacted At&t I was told that I could either get a new iphone (at that point not yet 16G) or downgrade to a phone of equal/less value without having to renew.

21. macrumors 6502a

Except in the case of the iPhone, apparently, since they're telling people to activate the new SIM and sign the new contract instead of swapping the old SIM to the new phone. That's what struck me as odd.

22. macrumors member

violaboy

not going to help my wife!

my wife wants an iphone and i'd love to give her my 8GB and get the 16GB, but i called ATT and they said that we'd have to start a new contract from the date of purchase of the new unit. :(
    :apple:

23. macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Will swapping the sim cards not work?

24. macrumors 6502a

I just re-read this and it seems like that makes sense...you're starting a new contract for the new phone, no? Or are you saying they said you'd have to start new contracts for both phones?

25. macrumors regular

So you have one contract and want two? How will back dating your current contact help you? :confused: