upgrade to a new hardrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cforand1293, Oct 23, 2006.

1. cforand1293 macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2006
    Ok so this is a rookie question. But I am wanting to upgrade my macbook with a 60gig hardrive to something bigger. I have heard many guys talking about the
    -Travelstar 5K160 160GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA-150, 5,400 RPM, 8MB)
    Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 160GB Hard Drive.

My question is and this is a rookie question. How am I going to transfer the data from my harddrive to the new hardrive. I was guessing that I would dump it all to an external, but just not sure. I am ready to do this asap so any help would be great. Thanks guys!

2. Jollins macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2006
    The MacBook uses SATA drives, not Ultra ATA.

When I switched out my HDD I just dumped everything to external. I tried using Carbon Copy Cloner and it worked but caused a whole bunch of bugs.
  3. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Aug 12, 2005
    Good choice on the drive. Make sure to get the SATA version if putting in a Macbook/Macbook pro.

Download SuperDuper!, Put new drive in external case and let the program copy from internal drive to your new (temporarily) external drive.

When complete, swap it in. Works great.
  4. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
    Bath, UK
    Does anyone know of any issues with using 7200rpm drives in a macbook? I was thinking of upgrading to 100 or 120Gb so that I can have a larger windows partition.

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2006
    If you do go for the 7200rpm drive, that's the brand I'd go for. The Hitatchi 7200rpm drives perform about the same as the 5400rpm counterparts.
  6. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Carbon Copy Cloner is still PPC. You'd need a UB backup program. Best thing to do is copy all your stuff over to an external drive and reinstall from scratch. I don't know if the file transfer thing would work when you do the set up. Never tried it, but you could always copy over prefs and user settings, and probably most programs, manually. Might be a pain in the butt, but it's you best bet.

The hardest part will be to physically replace the hd.
  7. Butthead macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2006
    7.2k drives tend to run slightly hotter from what I've read. See drive compatibility user comments database on www.xlyr8yourmac.com

See this link for review of cloning software:

I used OSX 10.3.9 (not avail on OSX 10.2) Drive Utility to clone my entire drive onto a FW external drive. Hitachi makes both SATA & PATA 160GB drives, but Western Digital only makes a 160GB SATA drive as of now. Seagate 160GB 5.4k have been experiencing a number of failures very recently after a short period of use (could happen to any drive). See user comments on newegg.com (and note how people say the Dell's cook drives, if you think the MBP is hot...).