Upgrade to a third party ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by applefanboy4739, Aug 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jul 10, 2011
    I'm about to buy a baseline 13 inch MacBook air And I was wondering if the stock 128gb ssd would be enough or if I should invest in a third party ssd, like maybe a 512 one. I am going to register as an apple iOS developer and put Xcode on this computer. It will be my main computer until I get enough for the Mac pro tower I want. And don't tell me I should just get an iMac or something for 1199 because I've already decided on the air. And help is appreciated :)
  2. macrumors 601

Mar 6, 2008
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    Kinda pricey, makes the i7 upgrade look like small potatoes. But whatever rows your dingy...
  3. macrumors member

Aug 3, 2011
    I'm a registered iOS developer and I went with an ultimate 13"... and even with some large projects I still have 100 gigs of free space left. Anything that I'm not actively working on I just dump to an external usb drive. If you have the desire and the money then go for it... it just wouldn't be worth it to me for a 512 upgrade.
  4. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2011
    If space was a concern, just go 256GB. A 240GB third party costs more than the Apple upgrade itself.

It's just super expensive. I'd rather go USB external (cheapest alternative), wait for a cheap Thunderbolt option (this would be pretty cool), or you could go with a network attached drive (NAS)? A NAS setup would be pretty neat.