Upgrade to Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hoogen, Nov 7, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

hello all. I am considering getting the newly released Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on AT&T. I currently have an iphone 4 and i have an early upgrade. I live in Houston so i would be able to fully utilize the 4G LTE, if it wasnt for that i wouldnt consider the phone. If i were to get the GS2 Skyrocket i would keep the iphone 4 and either sell it later on down the road or switch back to it if i ended up not liking the GS2 Skyrocket/android. I have had iphones since the 2g and really feel like trying something different.

I would like to get yalls opinions on this. thanks!

2. macrumors 603

nfl46

Get the S2 Skyrocket. It looks like you will keep your iPhone 4 if you purchase the S2. Hey, best of both worlds!

3. macrumors regular

Since the release of the iPhone 4, I played the Android vs iPhone game. I have tried quite a few Androids, but it's become redundant because I ALWAYS come back to the iPhone. So even though some of the new Android's that are out there look very tempting, I'm not even going to waste my time. :apple:

But to each their own. :D

4. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Give it a shot... Though if I were you I would buy a 4s on contract and then sell it for a good profit and use the profit to by the s2 skyrocket for cheaper off contract. You could make 200 bucks easy doing that. Especially since android phones have a lower unsubsidized price than iPhones.

5. macrumors 65816

whats the difference between the S2 and the S2 Rocket? Is it just the larger screen and LTE?

6. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I picked up the Skyrocket on Saturday and returned it today! It was just too big. I love my SG2 but just the little extra size was too much.

Also no decent cases and I do not think we will see many for this phone.

7. macrumors 68040

With Samsungs notorious slow history of Android updates in USA, wait for Galaxy Nexus.

Verizon has exclusive for probably one-three months.

But you won't get ice cream for samsung until Spring 2012 at the earliest in USA.

Thats why I would be hesitant about Samsung.

They still haven't updated any of their Galaxy S phones in USA to gingerbread while the rest of world has gotten it 4-6 months ago.

8. macrumors 68020

steviem

What aneftp said... You'll get more mileage from the galaxy nexus.

9. macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Can you do simple math? What the heck are you talking about? The original gs2 for att costs $549 off contract. The skyrocket will *at least* cost that much. *Please explain how He is supposed to make $200 "easy" by buying a 4s on contract, selling it, and then paying $549 for an off-contract skyrocket? I would like you to explain this in detail.*
    The only way to make $200 when buying a $549 device is if he made $749 from the iPhone transaction. How in the world would that be possible?
    For example, the $200 16gb 4S. Buying it, he is already down $200. Now just to BREAK EVEN when buying the skyrocket off contract, he would have to sell that iPhone for $749. To make $200 off the whole thing, he would have to sell the iPhone for $949.*
    $949 minus the $200 he paid to upgrade = $749
    $749 minus the $549 off contract price of the skyrocket = $200 left over.*

10. macrumors 6502a

jca24

Don't do it, android really does suck as do cheaply made plastic samsung phones.

thank you

11. macrumors regular

You could also look into the HTC Vivid.

12. macrumors 6502a

I'd try the skyrocket. Lets face it, ATT's 4G LTE network is very small and since you have coverage, I'd give it a try, see how the speeds are, and how the phone is...you have 2 weeks to return it, and if you are grandfathered in with unlimited data, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

If I had the option to go LTE right now, I'd prob return my iPhone 4S until next year, and grab the LTE version when Apple releases it.

13. macrumors 68030

OP do you watch a lot of video on your phone? That's the only reasonable reason to explore other phones. It is a richer viewing experience but thats already iPad territory.

14. macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Check eBay prices. New S2 go for about 400-450 bucks. IPhone 4s as much as 700...

15. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There is no doubt you have never used a Galaxy S2.

:p

16. macrumors 68000

Really? Samsung is the #1 smartphone seller and Android has the biggest market share.

17. macrumors 6502

I had the AT&T S2 for about a week before returning it and getting a 4S. I'm trying really, really hard to like Android, honest to God. For whatever reason I always find myself coming back to the iPhone. This time, the phone did the sleep of death a few times, and it's just not as fluid. Plus, I am heavily invested in the Ecosystem, and apps like Doubletwist just didn't replace iTunes (Yes, I know) for all my music, and podcast subscriptions.

18. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I had the infuse 4G and Thrill 4G for a few months each. They are cool but I ended up getting another iPhone 4 and I love it so much more. I am tempted to use my upgrade on a skyrocket for the LTE in DFW but I am going to stick with my iphone 4 for now.

19. macrumors 6502

size.

20. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all the replies everyone! i ended up going to best buy and i bought the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket to try out, since i have 30 days to return it. I really like it. It took a little getting used to, which was expected since i used an iphone for almost 4 years. im still going to hold onto my iphone just in case i change my mind.

21. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Good for you! I go back and forth between my 4S and SG2 all the time.

22. macrumors 68040

MattG

Integration, integration, integration...that's why you keep coming back. When you've experienced how well the iPhone integrates with everything -- app store, Mac/PC, third-party vendor hardware and software -- it's hard to go to Android after that. Everything seems so disparate in comparison. It's cliche but with the iOS ecosystem, everything just works. Yes it's not as tweak-able and there are things you can do with Android that maybe you cannot do with iOS, but the things that do work, work really really well.

23. macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Please, show me the math of how he could make $200 with your plan. Include all the prices in each step. I don't see how it's realistically possible, and I think you were just flapping your gums :cool:

24. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I wouldn't buy it based on the daft name… sounds more like a firework :eek:

25. macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

You have no concept of how much people are willing to pay for the new iPhone just after launch. You could easily sell for enough to cover the contract price of the iPhone and the full price of another.