Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
My friend wants to do this. Even though I keep telling him it will probably break his iBook, he wants to do it. And I still dont know why he would :confused:

But anyways, he wants to know if there is the option to upgrade from tiger to Leopard in the installer. Can you help my idiot friend?

(If your looking at this Jack, you're not an idiot! :rolleyes: )

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I don't have the Leopard Developer preview disk, but with the Tiger ones there was no upgrade option. Even worse you could not upgrade to the final release from the preview: you had to do a fresh install.

If you want to mess around with the preview (however you get hold of it) then the best way is to use a second drive (external works fine).

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
To answer your question....

Yes, the 10.5 developer preview does offer an upgrade option.
Because I just had to play around/experiment with the darn thing, I got ahold of one I wasn't really supposed to have and gave this a shot.

In my case, I ran into problems where my Address Book app crashes with the spinning beach ball every time I run it now. (Actually, I got into it once or twice and had it work properly, but ever since then - no such luck.) Tried repair permissions and all that, and deleting Address Book's pref files, but didn't help.

It also appears that Apple changed the way services are installed? I tried to get the "Rumpus" FTP server to work on the 10.5 preview and it kept getting errors about not being able to install the daemon - though everything else seemed to be ok.

Otherwise, most things I've tried with it so far seem to be working pretty well. I noticed I couldn't get stuffit expander to behave properly, however. It just says it will take 2426573657 hours to decompress a file and freezes up.

All in all, it's neat to play around with a little bit - but I don't think the 3rd. party apps are quite ready for it. I'd tell you friend to make a full backup so he can go back to it after playing for a little while.

Virtualball said:
My friend wants to do this. Even though I keep telling him
it will probably break his iBook, he wants to do it. And I still dont know why he would :confused:

But anyways, he wants to know if there is the option to upgrade from tiger to Leopard in the installer. Can you help my idiot friend?

(If your looking at this Jack, you're not an idiot! :rolleyes: )

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
robbieduncan said:
I don't have the Leopard Developer preview disk, but with the Tiger ones there was no upgrade option. Even worse you could not upgrade to the final release from the preview: you had to do a fresh install.

If you want to mess around with the preview (however you get hold of it) then the best way is to use a second drive (external works fine).

This may be a really stupid question,

but is it AT ALL possible to partition, say, 20GB of your hard drive, then install leopard onto that? And, upon bootup, just hold down option to choose?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If your disk is partitioned you can install different versions of OSX on it no problem (internal or external disks). The OSX installer disks can repartition your drive but you will loose all the data currently on any partitions (including your current OSX install).

BootCamp can dynamically resize your existing partition but as far as I am aware this is Intel only.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Yeah, you can upgrade over Tiger.

Though I recommend dual-booting.

Leopard Beta has its weird kinks. For me, Dashboard crashes. Every. 2. Minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.