Upgrade to Panther

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CryptoMac, Sep 23, 2003.

1. CryptoMac macrumors newbie

Since I just switched (waiting for my G5), I have a question about the upgrade from Jaguar to Panther. The only thing i have to compare it to is an upgrade from Win2k to XP...and any windows upgrade without a clean install is asking for trouble. How does this work on the Mac? Does it require a clean install of all the software or will the upgrade be as seamless as everything else Apple does?

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

There are 3 options when you install an upgrade like Panther.

The one I would choose is "Archive & Install." This puts your old Jaguar System folder aside (you can delete it later) and installs a fresh Panther one, but it automatically transfers over your user accounts and most of your preferences. The rest of your hard drive is not affected.

There are 2 other options. One is "Clean Install," where it completely removes your old system and installs a new one, but it keeps all your stuff, like programs you've installed, etc.

The last option is "Erase & Install" which completely erases your hard drive (or partition) that you've chosen to install the system on, and then installs the new system on it.

So pretty much unless you do an Erase & Install, don't worry about your programs. I haven't had any trouble with Archive & Install. There isn't any clutter like you imply that someone gets with Windows 2k to XP.

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Clean installs are typically a little faster (until the clutter builds up again), and sometimes a tad more stable. Archive installs are basically like clean installs in most ways, but with less hassle. Upgrade installs usually work just fine.

4. beefcake macrumors 6502

So clean install won't delete any files or folders on the hd?