Upgrade to Panther?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by hotwire132002, Feb 6, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm currently running Jaguar (X.2) and I'm thinking of upgrading to Panther (X.3), but I'm wondering if I should just wait and get X.4 whenever it comes out. Does anybody have any idea when a new version of OS X might come out? When did Panther come out last year?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Upgrade to Panther?

X.4 will probably be released in 9 months to a year. It's just around the corner.

3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I dont know when 10.4 will be out. I haven't seen any announcements on 10.4. Apple has started making some of the downloads Panther only downloads, if I were, I would go ahead and get Panther.

4. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure if there were any rumors about X.4, I just didn't want to buy X.3 and have X.4 come out a month later.

5. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

New is always around the corner. 10.4 will probably be announced late spring/early summer and ship in the fall. Panther however is a great step up from Jaguar, almost as much as Jaguar was from 10.1 before. Also depending on what software you use, the next upgrade could require Panther or later, so you may want to find out what you want/need to run on your machine before 10.4 shows up.

6. mms macrumors 6502a

Panther was officially released on October 24, 2003. I don't think 10.4 is anywhere near, since it's only been four months since Panther came out. I would bet that we have at least an year from now before 10.4 comes out.

7. steveolio macrumors member

steveolio

think about it, Jaguar was released in August of 2002, Panther was released on October of 2003, so 10.4 will be released around the same timeframe as Jaguar and Panther.

8. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Panther

I just converted completely to mac with Jaguar, but had been forced to use OS 7/8/9 (which i hated) at school, so I'm not a newbie. Anyway, Panther I believe is the greatest o/s on earth. It is such an improvement from Jag that I would never go back.

9. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Doubt it. Bet it's out before the new year. Still running 10.2.8. At the rate that these updates are coming out, I'll wait to get 10.4. They'll start leaving panther behind, just like they did with Jaguar (and Safari... etc)

10. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

ooh ooh! You should wait for 10.5, which will make 10.4 look like a waste of money!

11. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: Panther

Why is Panther an improvement ? I mean is there anything beside the official announced improvements like FileVault or Expose + bla + bla that makes it such a great improvement that is worth $129 ??? PLs explain. Cheers.

12. Kenny Pollock macrumors regular

I expect a 10.4 announcement at WWDC.. which is what they did with Panther. People will get demo discs, and developers will have betas available on their ADC accounts around then. It will probably ship in the Fall [of 2004].

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

Re: Re: Panther

um use it and you'll understand why its worth $129/70/whatever you pay for panther

14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Re: Re: Panther

It is only worth $129 if you use all of the advertised features suchs as file vault, fast user switching, ichat av, etc. I personally could care less about any of these things. However, expose I do use.

There is somewhat of a speed increase in panther, but it is still locks up a lot and bogs down with more than a few apps open. Maybe it is time for some more ram for me.:(

15. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    Panther Lockups... UGH

I agree! I don't lock up as much with 10.3.2 as i did with .0 and .1, but it still happens, especiall when im running MS apps?!?!? and especially IE and MSN Messenger ( i use ie, cuz i can never get flash and stuff to work on safari, but i really like safari better :D )

Whats the link for that place where they talked about release Panther?? Any news on OS 11 or 10.4?

Caleb

16. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: Re: Re: Panther

Hi,

thats exactly what I thought. I don't see the value of $129 for me. For $30 I definitly would have switched, but not for that price.

17. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Some of us don't want to make an investment of $129 each year for features that we don't use. Believe me... Panther seems tempting, but as another user posted, we're likely to see a new one this fall.

I've had my Mac since Summer 2003 and refuse pay to upgrade the OS after such a short time. I wouldn't intentionally buy a mac product just before an upgrade was due to be announced. Similarily, unless I can get panther really cheap, I'm going to wait until the fall/winter to upgrade my OS to 10.4. That way, I'll have had the OS for a year and a half, and it would make more sense in the budget.

I understand you want to use the features "now" but if you upgraded in the fall if 2003, then you've had the opportunity to work with the OS for a year before Apple demands some more money from you. Good for you! I didn't. Now the value of upgrading is decreasing as we approach the release of 10.4, while Panther still seems to be buggy (as per these message boards).

10.2.8 is running just fine on my system.

18. New Guy macrumors member

Unless there are features that I absolutely want or compatibility that I absolutely need I tend to purchase every other major update. Unfortunately, it seems that Apple is including more and more features that I want with each update . . . hmmph!

19. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Wait for 10.4 to be released.

Purchase 10.3 at a reduced price.

When 10.5 is released, do the same for 10.4

20. mms macrumors 6502a

I don't think they offer older OS's at a discount even when the new one comes out.