Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedyg256

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
I know that at some point Apple made it so one could not upgrade their Macbook Pro.

If I bought a 13 inch macbook pro released in June 2012 could I replace the hard drive with a solid state drive and upgrade the RAM?

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
- Yes to both. The hard drive/SSD can be upgraded on all MacBook Pros. RAM is pre-Retina only.

Just to clarify that.....all MacBook Pros supplied with an optical drive have conventional 2.5" hard drives so can be easily upgraded.

But in post 2012 retina Macs the internal storage is PCI flash, not a conventional 2.5" SSD. There are some upgrade options for some models from places like OWC.

Just want to make sure the statement "The hard drive/SSD can be upgraded on all MacBook Pros" is not misunderstood!

Reactions: JTToft

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Just to clarify that.....all MacBook Pros supplied with an optical drive have conventional 2.5" hard drives so can be easily upgraded.

But in post 2012 retina Macs the internal storage is PCI flash, not a conventional 2.5" SSD. There are some upgrade options for some models from places like OWC.

Just want to make sure the statement "The hard drive/SSD can be upgraded on all MacBook Pros" is not misunderstood!
- Appreciate it. I'll further clarify your post with respect to Retina models:

"There are some upgrade options for some models from places like OWC."

There are options for all models. Post Early 2013 the only third party option is OWC. For all machines, original Apple parts can be purchased to use as upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.