Upgrade to the latest iOS, now dead?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jekyl, Feb 21, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

jekyl

This morning my ipod touch (4G 32gig) showed a new iOS update (6.1.2?) but failed the update. I thought little of it, connected to my macbook (Mountain Lion) and tried through itunes. Now the ipod is caught in recovery mode and nothing I've tried has budged it. Tried restarting it, shutting it down, connecting to another computer, all attempts to restore it fail, nothing brings it back to an iOS screen. I got this as a refurb for an out of warrantee replacement for my 2 year old ipod that white screened exactly one week ago. The Apple store is nearly two hours away so I'd rather hate to make the drive again. Is there any hope at all?

2. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

google "ios recovery mode"

3. thread starter macrumors regular

jekyl

First thing I did, and tried everything I found. I don't "jailbreak" and most (virtually all) threads and articles refer to jailbreaks gone bad. Every attempt at combinations of holding home and power buttons result in the same restore screen, attempts to restore using every computer (Mac and PC) fail as well.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

jekyl

Is there a foolproof way to just get the iPod Touch out of recovery mode? Rebooting and connecting to itunes for recovery both fail.

5. macrumors 603

blueroom

Yep, DFU restore.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

jekyl

That seems to have been the trick. It took four tries but it did finally go and it's now accepting a restore from backup. It appears this all started from using a slightly frelled iPod cable for that software update.

Thanks.