Upgrade to Tiger --> Please try installing again.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blueskyredkite, Mar 10, 2006.

1. blueskyredkite macrumors member

blueskyredkite

Got an iBook G4 with the following spec:
    1.07Ghz PowerPC G4
    1.25GB DDR SDRAM
    27.82GB HD (9.6GB free)
    OS X 10.3.9

Bought a Family Pack upgrade to Tiger, the Power Mac G5 upgraded with no issues: Insert disc, click icon, reboot & upgrade sailed by.

Not with this iBook though: Insert disc, click icon, reboot, click through various dialogue boxes, installation media is checked, installation starts, about 30 seconds in: "There were errors installing the software. Please try installing again." So I tried installing again... four times again. Same thing each time.:mad:

Is there an install log somewhere I can take a look at, cos I have no idea how to proceed? Or if you've any suggestions I'd like to hear 'em.

Thanks for your replies.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There are a few possibilities (the dodgy DVD can be ruled out if you're already managed to do one installation)

It might be that your HD has a few bad sectors. It might be worth trying to repair the HD (you need to be booted from another HD or a CD/DVD to do this)

It's more likely that your RAM isn't that great. When Tiger first came out there were a few people who found that RAM that had previously been OK, wasn't OK under Tiger. You might want to try removing the RAM and installing Tiger - you could always reinstall the RAM again afterwards (although it still might not be acceptable)

3. blueskyredkite thread starter macrumors member

blueskyredkite

I did the Command+s at book trick from another thread. Ran fsck -yf, again, as per another thread and here's the lovely news:
    Code:
    ** /dev/rdisk0s3
    ** Root file system
    ** Checking HFS Plus volume.
    ** Checking Extents Overflow file
    disk0s3: I/O error.
       Keys out of order
    (4, 3214)
    ** Rebuilding Catalog B-Tree.
    disk0s3: I/O error.
    ** The volume Local HD could not be repaired.
    :(
    Looks like time for a new HD.

I'm gonna try the above again, without the extra RAM installed. I'll let you know how I get on.

4. blueskyredkite thread starter macrumors member

blueskyredkite

Tried it, made no difference. Didn't think it would - but you gotta try these things to be certain.

So, I'm gonna replace the HD (yes, I am competent - I've replaced several laptop HDs in the past - Toshiba and ThinkPad). I've got the service manual in PDF.

Now, I need to know the biggest HD this will support... I think I'll post a new thread to reach as many people as possible - some may not be following this. Thanks, Applespider, for the suggestions.

5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Apple's store offers up to a 100gb harddrive on iBooks I believe, so that might be a good way to go. a 100gb 7200 rpm would be nice. mmm.