Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
I'm very confused as to what issues this may cause for my current MobileMe account. I was setting up my Lion DP4 and wanted to get iCloud beta setup before I installed iOS5 on my iPhone and I get the below screen when I enter my AppleID. Does anyone know whom actually clicked Upgrade what the result is? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-06-09 at 8.58.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-06-09 at 8.58.15 PM.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 135

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
Sorry I can't help, but what mail client is that? I'm using outlook and looking for a better alternative.

I hope you didn't mind me asking in your thread.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
It's not a mail client at all just the System Preferences screen for Mail, Contacts & Calendars in Lion. I can say that Mail in 10.7 is an excellent alternative to any client you may be using at the moment.

junebug1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
Glad to know clicking the button won't actually do anything which then leads me to my next question...in order to use the iCloud beta do I have to log out of my current MobileMe and setup a test iCloud @me account?

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
It's not a mail client at all just the System Preferences screen for Mail, Contacts & Calendars in Lion. I can say that Mail in 10.7 is an excellent alternative to any client you may be using at the moment.

While I respect your opinion, I disagree. Sometime after it's launch and there is an upgrade I think Mail will be more of a contender. However from what I've seen and experienced thus far Gmail is still far better.

iCloud in it's entirety is Apples effort to catch up to Google. They've got a way to go yet. The level of refinement, constant improvement and consistent performance I've enjoyed with Gmail is untouched by any competitor to date.

While I believe that Apple certainly has the resources to compete, they've proven over and over that online services are not their area of expertise. I've used MobileMe since day one, and still use it today. But only because I'm a true Apple supporter and being patient while they find their way.

I do hope that Apple gets it right with iCloud, but I have no confidence it will come out of the gate the right way on day one.

Sirius389

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Clifton, NJ
Glad to know clicking the button won't actually do anything which then leads me to my next question...in order to use the iCloud beta do I have to log out of my current MobileMe and setup a test iCloud @me account?

I don't know what the deal is with the iCloud beta honestly, lol.

I signed out of everything and tried to sign in with the Apple ID I used when I set up the iOS 5 Beta on my iPhone 4, thinking that it would just sign in and sync with my Mac. That didn't happen...

I'm not sure it will let you set up a fresh iCloud account. I might look into trying that in a few minutes, I am still looking around Lion :)

junebug1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
NE Ohio
While I respect your opinion, I disagree. Sometime after it's launch and there is an upgrade I think Mail will be more of a contender. However from what I've seen and experienced thus far Gmail is still far better.

iCloud in it's entirety is Apples effort to catch up to Google. They've got a way to go yet. The level of refinement, constant improvement and consistent performance I've enjoyed with Gmail is untouched by any competitor to date.

While I believe that Apple certainly has the resources to compete, they've proven over and over that online services are not their area of expertise. I've used MobileMe since day one, and still use it today. But only because I'm a true Apple supporter and being patient while they find their way.

I do hope that Apple gets it right with iCloud, but I have no confidence it will come out of the gate the right way on day one.

The question that was asked was what mail client I am using as they were looking for a replacement for Outlook so I am unsure of what MobileMe or iCloud as services compared to Gmail have to do with a full featured client, but for what I need Gmail by itself cannot function as a replacement for Mail.app or Outlook - I have 9 different email accounts (4 Gmail/1 MobileMe/3 from different companies I work for/1 personal ISP) There has been nothing better for me personally than Mail.app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.