Upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 7on, Mar 26, 2005.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I know most people reformat their machines with new OS updates, but how many of you are planning just to do an upgrade? Cause I am, just seeing how many of you are going to do the same.

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

When I purchase Tiger I had planned on doing the upgrade. I really don't want to reinstall everything.

3. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

I think I will just do an upgrade - although as I am a new switcher there is not exactly much clutter on my machine etc. I dont think it is really worthwhile me doing a complete reinstall.

:)

4. gopher macrumors 65816

If Tiger is anything like Panther and Jaguar, a reformat won't be necessary:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

Is usually all you have to do.

Mind you I strongly recommend also taking these precautions:

http://www.macmaps.com/upgradefaq.html

I only reformat if I want to make sure I don't have some hidden software issue after an update that isn't related to the directory or something else and that I definitely have a hardware issue.

5. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I'll upgrade when I get a new Mac, hopefully this year so long 'er indoors doesnt get pregnant...I know, tough call...another kid or new Mac...

....ponders...

:)

6. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Upgarde... No reason to erase and install if you don't have any issues.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, I'm with the reformatting school of thought. There's just something so refreshing about it. :) Almost like there's a guarantee that there won't be any problems. I stress the 'almost' part though! ;)

8. Bear macrumors G3

I'll do what I did with Panther, see how other people do and upgrade one of my machines and see how that goes.

With Panther, there was a few issues that cropped up from the upgrade (no matter how clean your Jaguar installation was) that caused me to do a clean install on all my machines.

Tiger may just be an upgrade for me or it could be a clean install. I won't know until sometime after I do the first machine.

9. gopher macrumors 65816

There is no such thing as a Mac OS X clean install. Please see this FAQ:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@72.ztdsasNlTy2.267783@.599b7ba4 explains why. Calling it a clean install could confuse some people to want to Archive and Install vs. Erase and Install.