Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Is it possible to upgrade my outdated ipod to a new one through apple? I was thinking that if i still had the apple care thing on my ipod and it broke, but they dont make my ipod anymore could i pay to upgrade to the current one or would i have to buy a new one all together? Thanks

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
If you have AppleCare for your iPod and they do not make your iPod any more, they will replace it with the most similar current iPod if it is beyond repair.

For example, if you had a 4 GB Mini, they will probably give you a 1 or 2 GB Nano. If you had a 6 GB Mini, they would probably give you the 4 GB Nano. If you had the 20GB 4G, they would probably give you the white (or black if they didn't have any white) 30GB model. If you had the 40GB 4G, they would probably give you the 60GB white (or black if they didn't have any whites or you got a nice genius and requested black;) )

Also, please read my disclaimer in sig :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
a mate of mine had a 3rd Gen iPod with Applecare, and when it broke, they chucked it out and gave him a fresh 5th Gen for free :D

Thats why im getting Applecare for my iPod.

Do you know if it works on computers as well?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
yankeefan24 said:
If you have AppleCare for your iPod and they do not make your iPod any more, they will replace it with the most similar current iPod if it is beyond repair.

For example, if you had a 4 GB Mini, they will probably give you a 1 or 2 GB Nano. If you had a 6 GB Mini, they would probably give you the 4 GB Nano. If you had the 20GB 4G, they would probably give you the white (or black if they didn't have any white) 30GB model. If you had the 40GB 4G, they would probably give you the 60GB white (or black if they didn't have any whites or you got a nice genius and requested black;) )

Also, please read my disclaimer in sig :)

Not entirely true though. Apple maintain a good level of stock of all products that can still be covered by AppleCare (anything under three years old). If my 3G iPod - bought mid-2004 - were to totally fail now (and if I had AppleCare...) Apple would most likely replace it with a new 3G iPod if they had the stock available. If not, then yeah, you might get a brand new one as a replacement.

rafifreak00

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Kansas. No, not on a farm.
A colleague of mine had a 3G 10GB iPod, and there was some unique problem that we couldn't find how to fix online, so we gave it in ot AppleCare and they gave him a new 3G 10GB iPod.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.