1. macguymike macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #1
    I love my 12" PowerBook (Rev A: see sig). It's super-portability suits me quite well. However, I'm starting to want to do more with it.

    I'm seriously contemplating jumping up to one of the new 15" PB's. I want to play some more games on my system and as I am pursuing a degree in architecture, I'm thinking I'll want a system with more screen real estate and just over all better capabilites for the design software I'll need to run.

    Questions:

    1. Is the 128MB video memory advisable, or not so much necessary? This is the main sticking point for me in choosing between the 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz PB's.

    2. If I do this, I won't be needing my 12" anymore. How much could I sell it for if I include the maxed RAM (it has one very minor scratch and the battery foot is missing, otherwise it's in top shape)? Edit: It still has just under two years of AppleCare left on it, too.

    3. As I mentioned before, I love being able to just pick up my PB and go. It's not unbalanced when I carry it in one hand and I feel safe doing so. Any 15" users out there care to comment on the portability of their PB?

    4. Any other comments/suggestions?


    Thanks! :)
     
  2. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2003
    Location:
    California
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #3
    I would go with the 128 on the video card, as that will future proof your computer as much as possible and increase performance on your gaming. I can't comment on the other stuff. Hopefully someone else can.

    John
     
  4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #4
    Do you need the laptop sooner rather than later?

    I was thinking along the same lines as you. (selling my Rev. A 12'' PB, although I was thinking of getting another 12'' PB, just newever, and with superdrive)

    However, I realized I would take a beating in upgrading. Prob would cost me nearly $500 and I wouldn't get that much more out of it. I thus decided to wait for PB G5.

    I hope I can wait " Some time" for the G5

    BTW I hear the G5 PB is comin tuesday :p
     
  5. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #5
    I'd like to upgrade while I can still get a good price for my 12" - that's my main concern because I can't afford the full $2k or more for a 15" right now.

    I want more screen size. For the apps I'll be using, I'll need it. So, it's the 15" for me. I just need to figure out if I can "get by" on the 1.33 or if the 1.5 (w/128MB) really is a better idea for the extra cash.
     

Share This Page