Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2003
California
I love my 12" PowerBook (Rev A: see sig). It's super-portability suits me quite well. However, I'm starting to want to do more with it.

I'm seriously contemplating jumping up to one of the new 15" PB's. I want to play some more games on my system and as I am pursuing a degree in architecture, I'm thinking I'll want a system with more screen real estate and just over all better capabilites for the design software I'll need to run.

Questions:

1. Is the 128MB video memory advisable, or not so much necessary? This is the main sticking point for me in choosing between the 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz PB's.

2. If I do this, I won't be needing my 12" anymore. How much could I sell it for if I include the maxed RAM (it has one very minor scratch and the battery foot is missing, otherwise it's in top shape)? Edit: It still has just under two years of AppleCare left on it, too.

3. As I mentioned before, I love being able to just pick up my PB and go. It's not unbalanced when I carry it in one hand and I feel safe doing so. Any 15" users out there care to comment on the portability of their PB?

4. Any other comments/suggestions?

Thanks! :)

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I would go with the 128 on the video card, as that will future proof your computer as much as possible and increase performance on your gaming. I can't comment on the other stuff. Hopefully someone else can.

John

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Do you need the laptop sooner rather than later?

I was thinking along the same lines as you. (selling my Rev. A 12'' PB, although I was thinking of getting another 12'' PB, just newever, and with superdrive)

However, I realized I would take a beating in upgrading. Prob would cost me nearly $500 and I wouldn't get that much more out of it. I thus decided to wait for PB G5.

I hope I can wait " Some time" for the G5

BTW I hear the G5 PB is comin tuesday :p

macguymike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2003
California
Koodauw said:
Do you need the laptop sooner rather than later?

I'd like to upgrade while I can still get a good price for my 12" - that's my main concern because I can't afford the full $2k or more for a 15" right now.

I was thinking along the same lines as you. (selling my Rev. A 12'' PB, although I was thinking of getting another 12'' PB, just newever, and with superdrive)

I want more screen size. For the apps I'll be using, I'll need it. So, it's the 15" for me. I just need to figure out if I can "get by" on the 1.33 or if the 1.5 (w/128MB) really is a better idea for the extra cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.