Upgraded and was able to keep verizon unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by witmvpness6, Dec 21, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Just thought I would let everyone know I upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 5 with verizon today (finally), and I still have unlimited data. I upgraded at Best Buy over their Best Buy Mobile customer service line, and did in store pickup. The rep told me nothing was changing with my plan. I was skeptical, but after my upgrade I checked my verizon account, and sure enough I still have unlimited.

2. macrumors 6502

determined09

So you must have paid full price for you phone

3. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would think this too if he bought from BB. There are some though. I can upgrade once more and keep my unlimited but that is due to VZW's tom foolery.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Nope, paid 150 dollars for a 16gb black plus tax. Just checked my bank account as well. My eligibility date is now in 2014 so I definitely used my upgrade...

5. macrumors 6502

determined09

So how did you do it. ?! Please tell.

6. thread starter macrumors member

I was just eligible for an upgrade today. I called best buy mobile 1-877-702-2211. Told them I would like to upgrade my phone. They checked my eligibility, and asked me what device. I told them the iPhone 5 and they found the store closest to me for in store pickup. I placed the order, went to the best buy, picked up my phone, and was on my way.

While on the phone they asked which line (I have a single line plan), and said since I'm upgrading there will be no changes in my plan. I was worried about the unlimited data but sure enough it's still there.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2z80ow2.png

7. macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Don't be shocked if it does change in the future.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Would they legally be allowed to do that, after telling me my plan was not changing as I was signing the new contract?

9. macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yup

10. macrumors 6502a

Called Best Buy twice and both times they said to call VZW and ask if I could upgrade my line and keep my data plan. Both times VZW said no.

11. macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Thats why I wouldn't be surprised if it changed in a couple days. Best Buy can say anything but the contract is with Verizon. I'm pretty sure all their printed documentation will state that if you have a unlimited account and upgrade you will be forced off that plan.

12. macrumors 6502a

Actually twice Best Buy told me I would lose my UL data if I upgrade.

Yes when you upgrade a line that equals extending the contract and when you extend a contract you lose your unlimited data. Period.

13. macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You will most likely lose the Unlimited Data after the billing cycle ends. Even if BestBuy told you one thing, you signed a contract with Verizon not BestBuy Mobile.